PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Things to ponder when considering EK
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 18:51
greenfields

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harry,

The Company provides an Exit Survey to those leaving. As we all know, it is a box ticking exercise that will never be acted upon. I thought why not share the reasons I had here as well, for prospective new joiners to see so they can make an informed choice? No emotion, merely the facts as I, and all I spoke to before leaving, saw.

In my time there it became very obvious that many suffered from the working equivalent of abusive marriage or battered wife syndrome. They start using statements like 'we are our own worst enemies', 'we brought it upon ourselves because...." the bond is a result of pilots gaining their command and leaving almost immediately." No, it is not the pilots fault for the rules management are making and the way they are treating the employees. There are many 'managers' in EK who would never hold the role they do elsewhere. They act like teenagers with their decision making, and have an extremely immature outlook to the process. In any company a very small percentage of the workforce will do the wrong thing. A good management team will manage those employees. EK does not have a good management team. They have children who overreact and put in place blanket polices to the detriment of the over-whelming number of very good employees that they have. Unfortunately a lot of pilots have reached the stage where they believe they are the cause. They're not. But they have the effects of the long term victim, don't realise that it is unhealthy for them and their family, and are no longer able to see that the working relationship they have with their employer is a working relationship they shouldn't be having with their employer.

I noted elsewhere the comment: "#breakfreeonceandforall." The only time that a change will occur to the disgusting culture of the airline is when they can no longer recruit. Hopefully the people coming on here that paint a very accurate picture of the working life are causing pilots to reconsider their applications and thus dry up the flow of new joiners. Rather than having a go at them, why not realise that they can benefit your cause?

Finally, no I'm not an 'unhappy camper,' in fact I'm very very far from it! That is merely an uninformed opinion that you have made with no basis of fact. I could hazard a guess that it is a judgement you need to make about people who leave and post here, in order to fit your model of why you stay, but without sitting down and talking to you it's not an opinion I can accurately form. So unlike you, I won't make the claim. An ex-employee posting reasons for leaving, or posting anything for that matter, does not equal 'unhappy camper.'