PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS on the skids?
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2003, 01:15
WALLEY2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slice

While John and Martha were selling the USA GA angle, to be fair after the Perth show we sat down and had a beer.

I explained Broome,Ayers etc traffic levels, Pax, a/c types Martha and John listened, asked relavent questions discussed it at length and finally said "Nope in the USA we have no such airports as CTAF" and in the USA you would have a D class towers but these are paid from aviation general revenue.

They knew the USA regional airports like the back of their hands and were very nice very motivated people.

Interestingly it was not long after their return to the east that D--S--- made the unilateral decision to put out the press release that Broome was to get tower contradicting the Dep PM and NAS IG.

I think after getting the facts John and Martha told DS that CTAF was not the answer for such large mixed use airports. They had previously advised me on the USA mainland they knew of no 737 RPT flights into non towered airports. I think they told DS that as well.

Keen GA trainers wealth of experience nice people probably being missused and not aware of the manipulations going on.

Anyway that was how I found them.