PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drone Threat
Thread: Drone Threat
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2018, 10:36
Slatye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StickWithTheTruth
What if the pa28 was on final to a local field that doesn't appear on any of the VNC's or otherwise, or simply to land on the owners property or a property for which the pilot has written permission to land on?
I would imagine it's just like any other traffic that's not on the radio (whether they be full-size aircraft, drones, birds, tall trees, free helium balloons, etc). Keep a good lookout and try not to hit anything.

If you do have a collision, and both parties were obeying all relevant rules then it's simply a no-fault accident.

TBM-Legend - with regards to electronic means of keeping unwanted drones away, my understanding is that this is largely limited to preventing inadvertent airspace incursions. If someone actually wants to fly their drone over an airport, then they can just set it up to be fully GPS-guided. No way to prevent that without jamming GPS around the airport, which is obvious impractical.

I'm much more concerned about full-size aircraft than drones - I've had or seen more close encounters with those than I'm comfortable with, and a collision with even the lightest RA plane is definitely going to be bad news.