PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Times details proposed UK defence cut options
Old 15th Jan 2018, 02:28
m0nkfish

Received 56 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimlad1
No Sir, no there wasn't a reasonably balanced budget pre 2015 based on a rate of exchange at a certain level.

No there wasn't a significant and sustained collapse in the pounds exchange rate which has had an enormous impact on the ability to buy stuff, due to a sudden and large variance between planned exchange rates and actual exchange rates.

I must have imagined this financial car crash, such was my elation at the prospect that a bunch of my countrymen have decided to take this country back decades, after being sold a bunch of lies by the tabloid press and extremist political parties and then creating the conditions which is seeing this country hurtle headfirst into a strategic crisis the likes of which will take decades to recover from.

Thank god I imagined all of that, otherwise we'd be in a bit of trouble now wouldnt we...
Exchange rates vary all the time. Pre referendum the pound v dollar was averaging around 1.6, since the referendum we have seen it go as low as 1.20 but its now back to 1.37 and climbing. Like I said, these rates change all the time, any sensible procurement decision will be based on some movement left or right. I'm sure the longer term value of the pound is what is more important, and its still too early to tell which way it will go.

Last edited by m0nkfish; 15th Jan 2018 at 05:02.