PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane down Overbury, Tewkesbury.
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2018, 17:10
PeteMonty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He is probably reluctant to share as he doesn't want to add to the 'rumour mill'. People hear one thing and then propagate it as fact. For eg this statement that the aircraft was seen 'in a tree'. In the pictures the aircraft is in the middle of a crop field, nowhere near a tree. None of the damage is consistent with hitting a tree and all the wreckage is together.

Wreckage is not permitted to be moved (to allow the AAIB to properly investigate based on what ended up where). There are no trenches or other marks in the ground so my (totally unofficial) view is that it struck the ground here going largely straight down.

This would make it NOT a CFIT as the C stands for 'controlled'. Despite someone else's comment above I think the damage does resemble a spin. Just look up images of other aircraft that have spun in. I fly a lot in this area and the route they were going - back towards Glos (again this is only rumour until confirmed by AAIB) they were actually gaining ground clearance here which again cuts against the theory of this being CFIT into an unseen hill rising beneath them.

The AAIB will be able to sift through all the rumour, find the facts and report when they have done the due diligence a case like this deserves. Hopefully we can all learn something from this tragedy that has cost the lives of fellow aviators.