PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK207 Jfk
Thread: EK207 Jfk
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2018, 08:44
repulo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alwayzinit, that is what I thought reading this thread quietly in the last weeks. There are many places that require operation of the aircraft manually, with no programmed aid. CFU, SMI, HER 09, TVI, BVC are just some that jump to my mind.
Interestingly I have witnessed the same phenomenon at a Canadian operator, that urged their crews to fly everything in LNAV VNAV. The outcome was as expected, if the system had a problem, or just plain finger trouble, some crews were not able to revert to basic modes/flying.
I think the root cause is wrong direction in company culture, that was established with the aim to mitigate the perceptually slightly higher risk during visual and/or R/D approaches. Now that culture is backfiring. I understand that flying a visual or raw data app. after a 14 h flight is not what you are all looking forward to, but there are many opportunities within most ME route structures that enable the same.
But after all it is a company culture problem that needs to be addressed, there are enugh
researches around to proof that training basic skills frequently are a must. And I am not taking about the SIM, but the nice,quiet, sunny afternoon into any place.

Last edited by repulo; 14th Jan 2018 at 09:30.