PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I've hit my wall working in ME.
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2018, 04:03
RemoveB4Flght

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Came here at a low point, laid off and not many opportunities. Thought it would be a 1-2 year stint, an asterisk in my career.

First year was a typical Dubai experience of Brunches, Holidays, and expenditures.

Second year was frugal as I figured another opportunity was imminent and i should just work and save. Downsized my car, my flat, and paid off a fair chunk of my debts and was ready to "go"".

Third year was a low point, until I came to a realization that I was living and working here. I needed to be "here". I (politely) avoided other pilots and families who basically lived like I was, one foot out the door and constantly b*tching about the company, country, and counting the days until the next holiday "home". I made friends with long term expats rather than the 1-2 year contract crowd.

The next few years were my favorite here. I pursued new interests and rediscovered old ones. I turned my uni-student themed house into a home. I embraced life here and found it to be rewarding even with the frustrations.

Then I hit another wall. As I close in on a decade I realize neither the company nor the country really want me here for another decade. While I don't regret my time here, I also know that either I leave on my own terms or I will become entrenched and bitter and all the good memories of my time here will scatter like a fart in the wind.

I have an exit strategy and time line. It's nothing drastic or rash, but it includes some time off from working to re-calibrate some of my Dubaisms. I'll be debt free and money in my pocket, and am determined to not look back at my time here and think it wasted.

Truth is, when I get on that flight home with just a backpack slung over my shoulder and hear my final "yis boss".. i'm gonna miss this place.