PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Esso load drop Longford, Victoria
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2018, 01:35
gulliBell

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Basically the same mistake that was made on the previous bombing run...the load wasn't rigged properly, and if any concerns were expressed about it they still went ahead and did it. Should be an easy investigation, just cut and paste from the previous investigation report.

Karma bit on that day...EXQ was a brand new aircraft, as I recall this was its first job offshore after delivery. I remember when we did the hook check the hook was wired arse-about. Arm the hook, "hook open" advisory light came on. Release the hook and "hook armed" advisory light came on. Not that this had anything to do with the load falling out of the net, of course. But still, as I say, karma....

My guess is they'll outsource jobs like this (i.e. sling load jobs that can't be belly hooked). But there is a political angle at play, if you start outsourcing parts of the operation - day SAR has already been outsourced (CHC), some pilots have been outsourced (HNZ), sling load jobs might be next - it might not stop at that. If outsourcing reaches critical mass they might end up outsourcing the whole shooting match. And that would be a case of shooting the proverbial golden goose in the foot.

Last edited by gulliBell; 14th Jan 2018 at 01:57.