PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2018, 14:40
Rivet Joint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reversethrustset

I have made my mind up, I merely suggested that other factors could play a part largely to preempt anyone using that as an argument. I will have to take your word that Cardiff and Exeter also have backtracking of the runway but I think its fair to say that those two airports are a lot less busy than SOU. Lets not forget that those airports also have way more space than SOU and therefore larger stands etc. I think it is important to remember that it is not just the runway that is handicapped, but also the stands. Maybe someone can confirm, but I reckon no more than two aircraft at a time can be queuing to access the runway. This means departures are having to wait on stands. The runway is inefficient and lets also not forget that most the aircraft using SOU are based here. Small delays will mount up over the course of the day which in turn impact the whole schedule. BE might not care with their monopoly on the regional sector in the UK, EZY I suspect will not want aircraft from other bases being held up at an inefficient and unambitious airport like SOU.

The argument about the bean counters is probably right but as others have said look at SEN and LCY. Southend was nothing more than a place to park unwanted aircraft not long ago. The owner put their hand in their pocket and now EZY have created a sizable base as a result. LCY is owned by a pension fund, who acknowledge it becomes stretched at peak times so are putting their hand in their pocket. Both have short runways but the investment will make them more efficient.

I will agree with you that this thread has turned into a farce lately, historically it was the BOH thread that left me with a case of deja vu. I think this is largely to do with the MD boasting about the announcement of investment in the autumn though.