PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 12th Jan 2018, 14:22
Awoozy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Much needed help on becoming a pilot

First of all I sincerely hope I am posting in the right place. I have looked around and this seems to be the most fitting place. Apologies if I am mistaken. This is going to be a lengthy post so I will TL;DR main points on the end of it. I understand that there may have been many other people asking the same question of 'how does one become a pilot' but I feel like I could find some comfort if I was to ask it personally.

About me
I am 19 years of age (turning 20 on the 17th), have zero experience in flying and have never done any training courses or even touched on flying. I have wanted to fly for the longest I can remember and it's truly the only career that the thought of excites me.I had searched for information but the more I searched to more I felt like I became tangled in the information I read so at the age of 14 my mom agreed to take me to an open day that Virgin Atlantic (If I remember correctly. It was a long time ago) had. I don't remember much of what went on if I'm completely honest. The only thing that stuck was when the person ,who took the lecture, announced the cost of training. This is the point where I turned to look at my mother who had the 'Just forget it' look on her face. I looked for ins and outs to get around finance but was clueless. On top of that my mom, her bf and my sister didn't seem to be too supportive mainly due to my academic history. I had obtained C's and B's in GCSE's (without any revision) failed A level due to lack of interest and have only obtained a level 2 qualification in electrical engineering, chef cookery and have a life guarding certificate (What a discrepancy, I know). Essentially I have wasted my years of free education. I've always been the kind of person to really have to want something to work for it. Further more I am a very hands on kind of guy meaning sitting with a pen and piece of paper with study books was literal torture for me.

I am now at a point where I really want to start my career and independent life but I'm sat here asking what I'm going to do with my life and quite frankly feel like a bit of a failure. Searching for job after job I just can't help but think about getting my hands on Pilot training. Am I completely hopeless at this stage? Is it worth trying or should I just accept I would be out of my depth in even wishing to become a Commercial Airline Pilot?

TLDR Is it possible to do Airline Pilot Training and to become an Airline Pilot with no (or a tiny/irrelevant)academic history and if so how would I go about it?
-Finance is an issue. My family will be hesitant to support me financially as I have lost their trust
-What routes are there to take in order to get training
-What can I expect during training and within the industry? I have heard people say that the industry is 'drying up' I don't entirely see how that is accurate but regardless, they say it's not worth the pressure as a new Pilot as it will be a lot of stress especially so when starting out.
- I have shoddy eyesight. I have read wearing glasses is fine but Pilots must have multiple spare's at all time. Is laser eye surgery an option and how would it fare with an aeromedical examination?

Any help on the matter would be much appreciated. Sorry if I come across very naive. It's what I'm here for and will take on board any help I am given.