PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Memories of RAFG
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2018, 07:16
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by dkh51250
polecat2. An amazing read, the description of the nutty corporal eternally sweeping out the attic, fits at least two people of my acquaintance.
I read the book referred to. Its author made a contribution or two to another book, more anecdotal; 'The Call Up', he told a story about the wife of an officer who was besotted with her pet dog(s) involving he and other airmen in waiting at table while the local canine pets held a Birthday Party with Hats, Jelly and Ice Cream! He supposedly bumped into his form DI at a Service Station in the UK or something years later. The book he wrote from a personal perspective, was set in Germany at RAF Zeedorf which my brother described as identical to RAF Gutersloh. I believe the author was stationed there. I read his book circa 1976/77 and thought then that it told a rather negative if colourful story. THE corporal described as some sort of airman that time forgot, I kind of got to begin with and thought it was some sort of recurring phenomena in service life, like forgotten lifer in Southern State Penitentiary, but as I read on, the brutal 'Bull' obsessed Station Commander and the 'Corporal' seemed increasingly far fetched from my position as a teenage Air Cadet at the time. But I did enjoy it for all its over the top negative assault on service life generally.

FB