PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2018, 18:05
Concours77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The report states,

This failure was caused by a separation of the left wing, down cable from the slack absorber, on the copilot‘s side
If you look at the schematic it has an arrow showing the right wing up direction, which also makes it the left wing down.

The piece I think you are referring to,

a disconnect in the aileron primary control system between the pilot‘s control wheel and the aileron boost
is only talking about a lack of continuity between the boost unit and the cockpit controls ie left & right control wheels, not the the Captain who was flying.

If Co-pilot cable separated, left wing down was available
No.
I have been eagerly awaiting your response, expecting something like the ‘misunderstanding’ of the report is mine.

In your response, you have added a comma.

That is dishonest.

We are done.

The report states,
Quote:
This failure was caused by a separation of the left wing, down cable from the slack absorber, on the copilot‘s side

For thirty four feet, paired cables, running parallel 1.5 inches apart, enter the most robust area on the airframe, the aft wing control locker. They divide, and articulate either side of a bell mounted on the boost quadrant.

One cable, said to have separated in flight, and falling limply into the boost unit’s bay, is adjacent its former join, also hanging limply and attached via slack absorber, the final flexible cable, and a swaged ball end clipped to the quadrant.

The pilot's cable remains continuous, fixed solidly and surviving the impact and slide to be found in pristine condition, such that all its parts are indexed, inspected, and archived.

The separated and limp cable appears to have yanked out the remains of the run to the boost unit, such that everything is obliterated, and never recovered.

Any problem with that? Physics wise?

Last edited by Concours77; 8th Jan 2018 at 22:21.