PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2018, 11:15
morno

Received 310 Likes on 116 Posts
Blogg's, I don't think that's the best way to look at it.

I left Australia because I couldn't stand not having the opportunity to go see the world, work in different environments, experience different aspects of aviation, and make some better money than what's on offer in Australia. I'm in my 30's, so there's still a lot of aviating left to do for me. Doing Sydney-Gold Coast-Sydney a million times for the next 30 years is mind numbing.

However, at some point, I'm going to want to come home. I accepted that it would be difficult when the time came, I didn't leave without considering this.

So in 10-15 years when I want to return, I already think it's unfair that because I chose to expand my horizons and gain different experience, that I should be discriminated against just because Joe Smith has flown the Sydney-Gold Coast route 2 million times.

The seniority system locks out experience and doesn't acknowledge what someone with extensive experience could bring to an airline.

Why don't they have a system which promotes on performance and experience, rather than just who's been there the longest?

morno