PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DHC Beaver down in Hawkesbury
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2018, 02:57
aeromariner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LOMCEVAK
Once certificated, an aircraft does not have to retrospectively satisfy any new certification standards that are promulgated. Therefore, the Beaver would only have to meet the standards required at the time of its initial certification. There are, therefore, many aircraft flying which do not meet current certification standards.
Not the point of the post but see SFAR88. Amendment 45 to my way of thinking is an acceptable standard for stalling. I don't know what happened when the STC for floats was issued, but the FAA would have been perfectly within their rights to ask for anything they liked at the time of application (up to the applicable standard in force which I am assuming was around amendment 45) for the STC The FAA were generally looking for no stick lightening and adequate pitch at the stall, in 1980 when the Nomad floatplane was being certified. I'm pretty sure the stall warning words have been in the rules since CAR3 at amendment 4 way back in 1951 or so. The stall spin accident history for the Beaver is not good. As to the flight manual question, how did it comply with ANO20.7.4?