PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2018, 15:24
Concours77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G0ULI

Here:

“Ignoring the fine details, the ailerons became detached from the control yokes while the aircraft was established in a right bank which steadily increased until the aircraft crashed.”

I agree, but with some caveats. “Detached”. That is CAB’s probable cause. In one theory CAB offered that BOTH primary cables separated, so we need to further define “Detached”? This theory eliminates “Stuck Ailerons” which IMO can not be eliminated. It also eliminates other possibilities that don’t even conflict with the “probable cause” eg jammed, seized, or dismounted boost unit.

edit. “The ailerons became Detached...” that presumes they were “attached” in the first place?” Assuming the right roll was initiated by pilot commanded ailerons is a likely condition. We know the turn was very early, was it pilot commanded?

“I have no definitive explanation as to how the rear fuselage ended up upside down at the end of the wreckage trail, but some descriptions at the time mention the aircraft somersaulting after the initial impact (post the rail road embankment strike) while breaking apart and shedding wreckage with what was left of the wings and rear fuselage pancaking level, right side up and sliding backwards along the ground. No mention is made of the wreckage spinning or turning, but if it did, then the drainage ditch may have allowed what was left of the aircraft to pitch over upside down. Perhaps this was what gave the impression of a somersault?”

Well. The Devil is in the details, eh?

Your “Somersault” is my “Pitch Pole”.

My thesis from a previous post?

Last edited by Concours77; 6th Jan 2018 at 15:52.