PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2018, 00:16
G0ULI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concours77

"You must know that the Captain was busy trying to recover left roll. He said so. Left roll was available, I have demonstrated that."

Clearly an aileron roll to the left, or even a return to neutral, was not possible otherwise the aircraft would not have maintained a steadily increasing bank angle and right turn.

While I appreciate that some people have issues with the phraseology and terms used in the accident report and that there are discrepancies in the presentation of information from many different sources in the summary, the report stands as an accurate reconstruction of events. There can be few past events that can withstand such concentrated scrutiny at this distance in time and the original results still stand up in the light of modern knowledge and investigative techniques.

There are always avenues that are not pursued in any investigation because the experience of the investigators dictates that they will not advance the analysis of what happened. Without that same body of experience it is impossible for an observer to later fully understand the reasons for not following some promising looking lead. Fifty five years on, we are trying to second guess decisions made by people who probably started in air accident investigation eighty years ago. I submit we have little chance of duplicating their thought processes and reasoning at the time although we can make some educated guesses based on modern air accident investigation best practice.

Ignoring the fine details, the ailerons became detached from the control yokes while the aircraft was established in a right bank which steadily increased until the aircraft crashed.

I have no definitive explanation as to how the rear fuselage ended up upside down at the end of the wreckage trail, but some descriptions at the time mention the aircraft somersaulting after the initial impact (post the rail road embankment strike) while breaking apart and shedding wreckage with what was left of the wings and rear fuselage pancaking level, right side up and sliding backwards along the ground. No mention is made of the wreckage spinning or turning, but if it did, then the drainage ditch may have allowed what was left of the aircraft to pitch over upside down. Perhaps this was what gave the impression of a somersault?