PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA Class 1 medical with a history of adolescent migraines
Old 5th Jan 2018, 09:26
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Most active people feed on stress. It may be a trigger in some, but the deep underlying worry is the prime cause in some. It is very, very different to stress.

However, a person with an active mind should be able to identify and combat such periods of worry by being proactive in finding solutions, though by their very nature these worries are difficult to come face to face with.

Although it was never diagnosed, I'm fairly sure some bad days I suffered while in my teens was migraine. It was only after research for others, in my later years, that I realised I was one of many that had no idea what it was. Odd that so many people were unaware of it in the 50's.

My long term worry was about being called up for national service. I was about to do some heafty exams in Radio and had the prospect of a darn good job at Cambridge (which I got) and what's more I was heavily involved with 'the love of my life' Well, one of, and the thought of going somewhere to be shouted at by some mindless "£@" did not appeal to me one jot. Eventually, it got me down. Seriously so.

My resolution was to apply to the RAF for 3 or 4 years. Once I'd made my mind up, I felt so much better. Life took on a whole new meaning. Funny, "The last quarter of 39" the batch I would have been in, was eventually let off the hook. I missed the Army by 3 days, worked in radio and TV and then electronics before discovering aeroplanes.

It's also funny that if I'd resorted to plan B and gone in the air force, it's unlikely I'd ever have flown aircraft. A short time later I was sitting at the same desk as the bloke that tested Concorde for the ARB. Life was bright, exciting, and there was no time for being burdened with dull thoughts.

Last edited by Loose rivets; 5th Jan 2018 at 09:45.