PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2018, 20:41
Concours77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G0ULI
Although there is reference to two cables, the cables actually formed a single loop terminating at each pilot's control yoke. The description of tension in the control cable is with reference to each of the flight yokes. It is this tension that allows movement to be mirrored between the yokes and forces to be distributed to either aileron. Breaking the loop removes aileron control from both yokes. This was a serious design flaw. In hindsight it seems obvious that this single point of failure would be catastrophic, however the cable was over engineered for the anticipated forces it might be expected to experience.

A further section in the report clearly states that in the absence of a safety wire, the turnbuckle fastening would and was demonstrated to unthread in the presence of vibration.
No, there is reference to two pairs of aileron cables in the report. Movement is also mirrored by the large pushrod connecting the yokes, in apposition....

Breaking the loop does not remove aileron Control from both yokes. The cable that is not separated has tension control of its operant aileron....that isn’t sufficient for coordinated turns, but one aileron moving in one direction can control roll in that axis... also, as above, releasing command of both yokes puts the ailerons in trail, a benign condition, and not fatal to control.

Vibration rotation. Note each cable terminal unthreading is tightening its opposite end.

Attach an open end wrench to the end you wish to unscrew. Turn as many turns as you can, likely not many. Let go the wrench, and get a broken wrist. Storing energy in a threaded cable like it is a rubber band is not possible. Tightening the other end can only advance three threads, by design.

Thanks GOULI I value your input, and apologize for my assertive style. I mean no aggression, I wish to learn here.

Last edited by Concours77; 4th Jan 2018 at 20:55.