PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is finding a job easier in Canada now than it was 10-15 years ago?
Old 3rd Jan 2018, 18:33
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
living in a country with no future that gets more expensive each day.
Depending on who you talk to, that could very easily describe Canada with the way trade relations is going with our cousins to the south. Although I tend to think that we will be OK in the long run, going back to the way things were before NAFTA might very well have an impact on aviation, especially in Ontario which is heavily dependent upon cross-border trade and employment. Think about the free trade between Ontario, Michigan, Ohio, and New York and all those people flying down to NYC for work. That's a lot of empty seats on a Q400, Beech 1900D, or CRJ200 if things go bad.

I’ve come upon the opportunity to move to Canada next summer, my wife was offered a job in Toronto and therefore I also get the legal right to work
So, you are coming in on a work visa? I do know of guys who were hired at smaller charter companies on a work visa, but it was always on the understanding that they were already working towards a permanent residency. I'm not too sure how legal that is (i.e., if it infringes upon any privacy rights), but this was not Air Canada or WestJet and it certainly wasn't Toronto.

While also browsing thsese pages I found out about Air Georgian as a DEC, if I am not mistaken the montly salary is about 6200cad, the question is, what does that get me in Toronto? Will I be able to pay rent at least?
Rent...yes. Quality of life while living in Toronto? No.

When most people say they want to "live in Toronto" they mean down in Terminal Four - or whatever they're calling it these days - but it's roughly taken to be the area around High Park, but even that depends upon who you talk to. "In Toronto" can even mean out towards Oakville, Burlington, Milton, G-Town, etc - but only to those who did not grow up in the GTA and understand the importance of not claiming yourself from the city.

Most guys I know who work out of Toronto have moved out towards Guelph, Brantford, Barrie, and even as far as London to the west and Trenton to the east. The big question then becomes where your wife will be working and what sort of commute you and her want.