PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2018, 10:22
cats_five

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PDR1
"Ageing Aircraft Audit" is a routine part of the MAA (carried over from previous regs) airworthiness system. IIRC (I've not been in that world for 7 years) the first AAA comes at 5yrs after ISD, and then every 5 years thereafter. They are intended to see if thgere's a forest hidden by the trees which the front-line staff are maintaining.

PDR
Unless the MAA is vastly more complicated than EASA there isn't a forest, more a small copse for gliders especially simple ones like Vikings. Fixed undercarriage, no engine, no flaps, basic instruments, possibly no electrics at all fells many woods.

However I do suspect that putting the Vikings on the civil register as they are recovered would be worthwhile and I hope to hell that the units receiving them are given suitable instruction in keeping them airworthy after all the expense with tax-payers money that has gone into recovering them.

If the units haven't and things carry on as before the pause the outcome can only be another 'pause' only (probably) a permanent one.