PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DHC Beaver down in Hawkesbury
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2018, 09:30
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Centaurus

A lengthy quote - sorry.
I recall from my RAAF Pilots Course in 1952 that these sort of so-called Safety Briefings briefings so beloved by CASA and incorporated in todays flying school Operations Manuals, were never considered necessary. in fact they were never even thought of. To this day I still consider them as superfluous. In any take off, the situation is dynamic. It is impossible to self brief all the possible permutations that could occur. So what's the point in gabbling away to yourself apart from making your passengers feel nervous as you mutter away to yourself a meaningless ritual.
In real life you simply have to wing it - literally.

See above..
When I did my RAF pilots course in 1962, pre take off briefings weren't done but we did consider and train for EFATO. BUT the world and, in particular, aviation has moved on. That's why EVERY professional pilot briefs himself and crew and carries out a touch drill before lining up and why so many good recreational pilots do exactly the same, and something I hammered home even when teaching gliding in Australia when pre planning for a cable break is VITAL.

Saved my skin on at least two occasions on heavy jets with engine failure just after take off.

Can't prepare for every eventuality, but you can at least prepare for many, costs nothing, might save the day.

Last edited by RetiredBA/BY; 1st Jan 2018 at 10:25.