PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia to give visas to foreign pilots to fix growing shortage
Old 1st Jan 2018, 05:58
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
A bit confused as to your comment mngmt mole.

If it were to my comment - I said when things stat to change.

The wages and hours being mentioned for the USA, would be lower ($'s) and more (days/hours) than a A scale CX today.

The people still on A scale at CX have been there a long time and at every opportunity having money as in bonuses and the like removed, giving them a continual reduction money and conditions. Many other places are seeing increases.

I expect B scale also in general be not financially worse off than the guys that headed of to the USA on the E3 visa. But these guys that are captains have the problem in aviation of a strong bond in the industry of seniority. So realistically for guys at CX to move out is FO jobs on the large pay reduction and climb that seniority ladder again.

Many at CX can not even seriously look at USA as there is no pathway to green card as they are married with kids. This will be the same issue if Australia only do the 2 year option, as it is a max 1 extension and no path to PR. So it is reasonable that Australia will put pilots on the 4 year visa that can lead to PR.

But the problem again, is that almost all - when thing start to change will need to change seats and reduce pay for a while.

All countries have visa requirements for work reasons and they are not scared to change them with changes of immediate effect when conditions change.

If you want to build and have your career in a foreign country, plan your plan b.

As for the unfilled positions vacant that caused this change to the visa program - anyone actually know what position and types are they?