PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DHC Beaver down in Hawkesbury
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2018, 05:39
Jerry Springer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alchemy101
Regarding the previous comment that turns below 400ft should be avoided in float operations - I have seen a caravan operated in the Brisbane Water channel enter a 70 degree bank angle turn immediately after liftoff (albeit having discharged passengers) to clear terrain,and on different days smaller aircraft including a Beaver weave down the channel after takeoff before climbing over Broken Bay. How feasible is it, operating in Cowan or channel areas to have a straight climb after takeoff? I would have thought that immediate turns would be required just about everywhere

As I said, this is something "I always TRY to adhere to when flying floats”. Of course with obstacle clearance, it’s simply not always possible. Obviously nobody is going to fly into a hillside on take-off from a river because it’s at 300ft directly in front of them and they don’t want to turn before 400ft...That’s just common sense.

I’ve seen numerous pilots on floats make needless steep turns immediately after take-off, or when coming into land - when there is simply no reason for it.
I’m not even saying the 400ft idea is applicable to all pilots and all aircraft. It’s simply an example of a self-imposed standard - and I do think having a personal set of such standards is good way to mitigate risk and remain disciplined.