PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hot Climate Pilots and a Cold Climate Crash
Old 30th Dec 2017, 23:41
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I am not sure of the nationality of the ferry pilot who crashed at Wick.However you are correct that he chose not to change the oil and filters.I would have thought this would have been a job for an engineer and not a pilot. Changing the filters, opening the old ones and inspecting the screens might have given clues to the state of the engines. Had it been my aircraft I would have asked for an engineer accompany the pilot to recover the aircraft.

This from the AAIB report.
The information indicated that the aircraft was flown from Seattle as far as Sondrstrom (sic) in Greenland by two pilots normally employed by an Asian airline. The ferry flight was abandoned at Sondrstrom late in December 2013, with the aircraft being parked and the pilots leaving it there due to reports of low oil pressure on both engines. It was considered that the low engine oil pressure may have been caused by the aircraft being operated in extremely low temperatures in December with the incorrect grade of engine oil for cold-weather operations. Arrangements were subsequently made, in conjunction with an aircraft handling company based at Wick in Scotland, to send an appropriate quantity of multigrade oil suitable for low-temperature operation, together with two replacement oil filters, to Sondrstrom for installation on the aircraft in order to permit further flight. The aircraft was, however, left at Sondrstrom until the 28 February 2014 when a replacement ferry pilot was engaged to continue the ferry flight to Thailand by the originally intended route. It is apparent from the engine log books that no engine oil change or any other maintenance activity was conducted at Sondrstrom; the pilot commented that this was due to a combination of a lack of maintenance facilities and normal indications, including oil pressure, when he started the engines. In fact the most recent log book entry prior to the aircraft’s arrival in the UK was dated 12 August 2013, when the engines were each subjected to an Annual Inspection and serviced with Aeroshell W100 oil.
Assuming the oil pressures were OK at the annual in August something must have happened to both engines en route to give the low pressures at Sondestrom?

I wonder why when changing the cylinder at Wick the oil on both engines was not also changed?

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 31st Dec 2017 at 03:46.