PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2017, 11:54
Elevators

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The above is true of Namibia I believe from what my friends flying in Namibia have told me. SA pilots will usually have instrument ratings as well.

I just want to make sure that people who are genuinely planning on going to Maun make the decision based on the most accurate and up to date information. This forum played a major role in my decision to fly in Bots. Best thing I ever did. I previously worked in Maun but have since moved on.

Just be clear on ‘need’ and ‘desired.’ The question is whether you need an instrument rating to work in Botswana. No you do not! Wilderness are asking for one and I would suggest you email the chief pilot directly to clarify their own company requirements. Wilderness operate in different countries and possess different requirements depending on the jurisdiction. Pilots come from all over the world. Some pilots complete an instrument rating as part of their CPL, but many do not.

In Botswana you’re flying on a validation of your home license so as long as you have a CPL you are good to go. I flew with numerous guys who didn’t have one.It wasn’t really a topic of discussion.

Having one might make you feel better in the wet season but it’s not a requirement and no aircraft is IFR equipped! 500+ is the key and that’s all you need. Insurance requirements are company specific but total hours were most important. Instrument rating / instructor rating is another piece of paper to add to the stash when your file appears before the immigration board who grant your work permit.

If you arrive around now, have 500+ hrs your chances of getting a job + work permit are good. Visa processing times vary with the angle of the sun and tides of the moon. In recent times it has only taken a few weeks.