PPRuNe Forums


South Asia and the Far East News and views on the fast growing and changing aviation scene on the planet.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th Jan 2017, 10:11   #1 (permalink)
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Philippines
Posts: 28
Cebu Pacific Pilot Req

Hi !

I just really need to know this info - does CEB impose height requirements on pilot applicants ?

Not yet a pilot here, I plan to study in the US soon... however being a typical Filipina, my height is only about 158cm.

I have tried an A320 sim and seats are fully adjustable. But given PAL's 5'4 requirement, I'm worried that CEB might be the last option left (???)

I don't want to risk spending all the money for flight school and end up nowhere after because of my height.

I've been trying to ask around but thought it'd be nice to hear from the PPRuNe community as well.

Thanks for the time and help !
nimblenoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2017, 13:47   #2 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: YSSY
Posts: 20
Mate dont listen to anyone and go speak to them directly! Call up HR and ask for medical requirements yourself. That way you will be 100% sure... However I am sure that some members here would have up to date and correct information
PPSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2017, 14:10   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Philippines
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPSS View Post
Mate dont listen to anyone and go speak to them directly! Call up HR and ask for medical requirements yourself. That way you will be 100% sure... However I am sure that some members here would have up to date and correct information
Problem is I can't seem to get in touch with their HR. Have asked around, still waiting for response from other CEB employees. Thanks
nimblenoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2017, 14:11   #4 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: uae
Posts: 2,079
I believe Airbus states a height limit. Pedal deflection and overhead panel reach.
fatbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2017, 14:12   #5 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: earth
Posts: 96
Just a word of caution. If you do go to CP HR and request the information (good call btw) make sure you get it in writing and signed.

CP HR and Flight Ops are infamous for telling people one thing then completely denying it later.
Black Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2017, 14:16   #6 (permalink)
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Philippines
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Crow View Post
Just a word of caution. If you do go to CP HR and request the information (good call btw) make sure you get it in writing and signed.

CP HR and Flight Ops are infamous for telling people one thing then completely denying it later.
Will keep this in mind, thanks ! Ha ha did you have bad experience with CP ?
nimblenoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2017, 14:17   #7 (permalink)
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Philippines
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbus View Post
I believe Airbus states a height limit. Pedal deflection and overhead panel reach.
I work at the airport and have seen CP pilots pass through immigration... A lot of small female pilots. Just not sure if we match the same height as I have heels on.
nimblenoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2017, 16:47   #8 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ziltoidia... indeed'd.
Posts: 117
I know of several female pilots that are even shorter than that. Just go for it if it is your dream and consider other options if Cebu doesn't deliver what you are expect. Height requirement now a days that everything works with the touch of a button is a nonsense.
iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2017, 17:41   #9 (permalink)
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Philippines
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy View Post
I know of several female pilots that are even shorter than that. Just go for it if it is your dream and consider other options if Cebu doesn't deliver what you are expect. Height requirement now a days that everything works with the touch of a button is a nonsense.
That's quite a relief to know. Thank you. If only there are ways to grow taller but with my age all I can do is stretch now. 😂
nimblenoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2017, 20:40   #10 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Earth
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy View Post
I know of several female pilots that are even shorter than that. Just go for it if it is your dream and consider other options if Cebu doesn't deliver what you are expect. Height requirement now a days that everything works with the touch of a button is a nonsense.
Sorry but that is ridiculous. If your feet cannot reach the rudder pedals, hands reach the throttle without being too far forward (so that you can reach the pedals) whilst simultaneously being at a reasonable pitch so that you can actually fully see outside then there is a problem. To suggest everything works "at the touch of a button" in itself suggests a lack of knowledge of what's involved to fly a plane. You cannot afford to not be able to reach half the things you need to just cos the aircraft is fly by wire.

Most A320 operators have their requirement around 160, the lowest I've come across is 158cm for easyJet. The reality is you will have to ask Cebu Pacific directly as each airline has their own unique requirements. How it works in the Philippines with regards being told one thing then seeing another being done, I've never been there so don't know, take the advice of those who know how it works there and I wish you the best of luck
Officer Kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2017, 23:54   #11 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: lagos
Posts: 631
Shouldn't be an issue , I've flown with some really short guys and gals and the bus who have not had any problems at all. Certain turboprops and Pistons aren't designed as well...
pfvspnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2017, 02:37   #12 (permalink)


Probationary PPRuNer
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Manila
Posts: 1
Why not study here in the Philippines
flyboy2683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2017, 14:10   #13 (permalink)
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Philippines
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy2683 View Post
Why not study here in the Philippines
For FAA License.
nimblenoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2017, 14:41   #14 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: earth
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblenoodles View Post
For FAA License.
An FAA license will open opportunities for you worldwide. A CAAP license is useless outside of the Philippines except for some 3rd world countries.

With the FAA license you will have to actually receive the training and actually show competence to obtain it. With the CAAP license? It depends on how many pesos you have to spend.
Black Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2017, 04:22   #15 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: lagos
Posts: 631
CAAP license not accepted anywhere? I'm not sure about this
pfvspnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2017, 11:42   #16 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: earth
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfvspnf View Post
CAAP license not accepted anywhere? I'm not sure about this
Take your CAAP license to another country, especially in the west, and try to do a conversion. It's not a one for one, if they will accept it at all.

For example, in the US they will accept your CAAP Commercial or ATP........in exchange they will issue you a foreign based Private Pilot License, nothing higher. If you want commercial or ATP, then you have to test for all the steps, both written and practical test, to US standards.

Same for all western countries.
Black Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2017, 14:15   #17 (permalink)
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Philippines
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Crow View Post
An FAA license will open opportunities for you worldwide. A CAAP license is useless outside of the Philippines except for some 3rd world countries.

With the FAA license you will have to actually receive the training and actually show competence to obtain it. With the CAAP license? It depends on how many pesos you have to spend.
Yes so I heard. Which is why I decided not to train in the PH if ever I decide to fix my Japan residency and well I just really want to try and apply abroad in the far future.
nimblenoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2017, 15:56   #18 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: lagos
Posts: 631
But isn't this true for all licenses converting to FAA with the exception of Canada which has a mutual agreement . Is there any country that you can think of that does not accept the CAAP license ?
pfvspnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2017, 16:26   #19 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Earth
Posts: 423
Quote:
Yes so I heard. Which is why I decided not to train in the PH if ever I decide to fix my Japan residency and well I just really want to try and apply abroad in the far future.
Where do you plan to work? Is there enough of a demand for low hour people in the Philippines? I am in europe where the market is booming and it's still a massive risk to train on your own without an airline.

Have you considered Qatar Airways via STAA ?
Officer Kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2017, 16:50   #20 (permalink)
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Philippines
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Kite View Post
Where do you plan to work? Is there enough of a demand for low hour people in the Philippines? I am in europe where the market is booming and it's still a massive risk to train on your own without an airline.

Have you considered Qatar Airways via STAA ?
I heard they hire low hour people in CEB as long as you have an A320 type rating. If things change in the future, I might just stick with the CFI path... havent tried anything. How about you ?

I know it's a big risk but I'm sure we'll end up somewhere... might just take years of hour building.
nimblenoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:47.


1996-2012 The Professional Pilots Rumour Network

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1