South Asia and Far East WannabesA forum for those applying to Cathay Pacific, Dragonair or any other Hong Kong-based airline or operator. Use this area for both Direct Entry Pilot and Cadet-scheme queries.
For those who are interested, a friend of mine who did the Aptitude Test back in 2008 provided me with a gouge. The test should last about 1 hour, and only 1 candidate does the AT at any particular time. There are ten seperate items that need to be done, and are listed below.
1. Deviation Indicator
This is like a typical Flight Director on the PFD of a jet. In other words, there are two lines; one horizontal and one vertical. They move simultaneously in different directions (simulating wind), and your task is to keep them in a perfect cross. You use the joystick provided to do this. You have no trials and three graded attempts.
2. Three Figures
You put on a headset and listen to a voice. The voice will speak once and give you three parameters, namely: Positive/Negative - meaning Holding/Not Holding Right/Left - meaning Right Hand/Left Hand Circle/Square - meaning Circle Shape/Square Shape
You will then be shown three figures on the screen, each with a man either standing upright and facing you/away from you, or standing upside-down and facing you/away from you. Then you must choose how many figures fulfill the requirements as given by the voice. For example, if the voice says "Positive, Right, Square", you will need to see how many diagrams have a man holding a square in his right hand. You will have 8 seconds to decide on your first three tries, then 7 seconds for the next three tries, then 6 seconds, 5 seconds and 4 seconds. You get a total of 15 graded attempts and 1 trial attempt.
3. Shapes and Tables You will be given a 6x6 matrix. All cells in the top row have different colours, while all cells in the left-most column have 5 different shapes. Shapes of varying colours will appear randomly in the rest of the cells, for 5 seconds at one time. If the shape in a cell matches the shape in the top row and the colour in the left-most column, you must click the cell before the shape disappears. The colours in the cells in the top row will change randomly as well. You get 2 graded attempts, each lasting 2 minutes.
4. Irregular Shapes You will see an irregular shape on the bottom of the screen. On top of the irregular shape there are two boxes, each with a lot of lines inside. You must decide if the irregular shape appears in any of the boxes(either, both or none of them). You have 10 graded attempts and 1 trial attempt.
5. Number Series The voice from the "Three Figures" exercise comes back to haunt you again. The voice will first read a three-digit number followed by a single-digit number. A series of numbers will then be read aloud, which are actually the single-digit number subtracted from the three-digit number. You must make sure the pattern is correct. For example, the first three-digit number is 499 and the single-digit number is 5. You must then listen to the clip and make sure the pattern is 499, 494, 489 etc. If the pattern goes wrong, you will have to press the button immediately. However, the pattern will change immediately afterwards. For example: 499, 494, 489, 485 (button pressed), 481, 477, 475 (button pressed), 473, 471, 469, etc.
The numbers will be read as "Four-Nine-Nine" as opposed to "Four Hundred and Ninety Nine". You must be quick at your calculations as the voice is quite fast. You get two assessed attempts and one trial.
6. Shapes and Colours The voice will read a colour and a shape, e.g. "Blue Triangle". Coloured shapes will appear randomly on the screen, along with a number on the bottom of the screen. If the colour and shape of the shape on the screen corresponds with the voice command, you must press the button and type out the number on the keyboard. Each shape appears for 2 seconds.
7. Exercises 1 and 5 done simultaneously.
8. Exercises 5 and 6 done simultaneously.
9. Exercises 1, 5 and 6 done simultaneously.
10. Fly the Aeroplane The screen will display 15-20 squares coming towards you, becoming larger in size. You have to use the joystick to fly the aeroplane through the squares, but it is difficult as it is easy to over-control the aeroplane. You have three assessed attempts and no trial attempts.
Thanks for the info you've provided us holdmetight!
Since you will only require the headset for the Colour & Shape at the beginning of Exercise #6, I assume that they will give you the Colour & Shape first, followed by the three-digit number and the one-digit number or vise-versa.
i did mine yesterday. Did you joystick have sensitivity problem? I mean the control cannot go all the way to the right. So there is no way to get full mark. I asked her 2 times but she told me " everyone is doing it under this problem, so go ahead..."
However, the sensitivity can be easily adjusted in Window..., not to say you can find a guy from computer department to help. Conspiracy theory: she could go to window to adjust the sensitivity to favour someone...
Sounds like all the interviews are scheduled after the international batch complete their initial and aptitude tests then. Anyone knows what the second interview is supposed to be? Technical + personality test? Also does that mean that flight grading becomes the last stage? Or is there a 6th stage panel interview?
yicheung9 : Most of the people got the same joystick problem in the aptitude test. Therefore it is most just to keep the problem exist for rest of the candidates. ( I did the test several days before Chinese new year and got the same problem)
Also dun write to her boss. She definitely can find out who you are from your login name and the date you took the test.!
Round 4: Technical Interview + Group Exercise + Medical Check
Round 5: Flight Grading
P.S. yicheung9, I would not recommend you write and complain to the HR manager. I don't think it is as serious as you think it is, and even if it was, there is nothing you can do about it - not even complaining to the CEO. Best of luck!
i did my aptitude on 11feb too, wonder if any one got called for the next stage? i had the same problem about the joystick too...=.=" the test was exactly the same as the nice guy mentioned above...very detail also^^
If I write to her boss, i will use my full name. why would i care if they know who i am. But on second thought, it may not be as serious as i thought b4, and i don't think she is stupid enough to go thru all that trouble just to favour someone, also i think she is cute, so probably i will keep my mouth shut, haha! i messed up the 2nd last too. i had like 8 misses...God bless us!