South Asia and Far East WannabesA forum for those applying to Cathay Pacific, Dragonair or any other Hong Kong-based airline or operator. Use this area for both Direct Entry Pilot and Cadet-scheme queries.
greetings SIA Cadets... i'm from the Philippines and I was wondering what books do you use for your groundschool and other references for your flying. i asked my dad (who's with SIA Cargo) if he knows what you guys use... no reply from him as of yet. would appreciate your help.
Good news! I have been called up for the initial interview with SIA in mid-march in KL. I've been reading the forums for tips and info but I have a few questions that might be a little unique.
First, just a bit of background. I am a Malaysian and currently doing my CPL/IR with Frozen ATPL. I have completed all my ground papers and am now flying the twin-engines and only have a couple of weeks and about 30hours to go to get my CPL/IR (woohoo!). I am also finishing up my IT degree part-time with 1 more semester to go.
Firstly, what should I expect for the initial interview? I applied for the Cadet Pilot position on the website as it was the only one available.
Secondly, would I have to re-take all my ground school tests? I have all passes in the CAA UK exams (CA6, CA2 etc) with 1 re-sit for Radio Aids. Would I also have to re-do all my flying right from the start?
Thanks heaps in advance for your help. Wish me luck!
Thank you for indulging my questions - especially if they are redundant. I have a friend living in KL who will be applying for the SIA cadet program. I have a few questions for successful candidates and current applicants:
1. IF trained and then selected by SIA, what are the most likely aircraft to start on? Any trends for recent graduates (777, 744, A340)? Are graduates headed to SIA ever asked for a preference (i.e., 777 vs. 744)?
2. What percentage of graduates go to Singapore Cargo vs. SIA vs. Silkair?
3. For those selected for Silkair, what are the typical factors for that selection vs. SIA Cargo or SIA? Is it based purely upon need at Silkair or preference (short haul vs. long haul) or skill? Can you move from Silkair to SIA or SIA Cargo later once you have a certain amount of hours or experience? Do you see many transfers?
4. For a cadet who is selected for SIA, what is the potential upgrade time? 15 years?
5. Lastly, what is the estimated first year net pay for cadets once they get on the line (post training)? Is it the same for SIA, SIA Cargo and Silkair?
Fortunately, not a lot has changed with regards to the interview questions. If you've been reading this thread i'm sure you'll be well prepared for the interview. I guess the only thing i didn't prepare well for was the business aspect of SIA. Maybe i was just too caught up with the technical questions.
Got thru the interviews, now eagerly awaiting my Medical. Kinda nervous on the medical though as I dont have perfect eyesight. Any idea how long before I get to know the result? Or would it be a safe bet to call the ST Aeromedical to find out if I have cleared?
Was wondering if you or the other forumers could help me clarify SIA's requirement on visual acuity. On their website, there seems to be 2 similar sets of requirements: at least 6/60 unaided, correctable to 6/6; whilst the other requires myopia less than 500 deg and astigmatism less than 125 deg, fully correctable.
Reason I'm asking if because I don't have perfect eyesight but meet only the latter requirements.
Sorry if I'm being a pain as a newbie, but any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!
Thanks!! Nah no worries... I am not too sure about the eyesight requirements, but from what I read there I gather that basically as long as your eyesight meets those requirements and is correctable to 6/6 you should qualify. As for Astigmatism, I really have no idea, rather I guess would depend on the Doctor or the specialist to verify if you are fit to fly I suppose. But yeah do correct me if I am wrong.