PPRuNe Forums

Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th Dec 2012, 12:21   #1 (permalink)
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 103
Moving to Canada

Hello guys,

I'm a JAA CPL(H) holder, and I live in Italy. A part of my family is living in Canada and I'm seriously thinking about moving up there as I am not satisfied with my present job in Italy.

So I'm wondering how easy it is to move over there for a flying career?! and to convert the licence?

I'm not fussy about jobs, whether it's instructor, aerial work, charter, piston engine/turbine engine. I'll take anything, just want to know my options.

Any advice would be great! Thank you.
ka26 is offline  
Old 27th Dec 2012, 12:52   #2 (permalink)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East of Africa
Age: 41
Posts: 656
Lots of companies looking for pilots-EXPERIENCED pilots (which includes hundreds/thousands hours longlining, remote area work etc-.).

Are you able to get a work visa?
Most companies are not really interested in "sponsoring" work visas.....

Do you have enough hours to be considered for a job there? (As there are more than enough canadian low-timers looking for jobs..)..
hueyracer is offline  
Old 27th Dec 2012, 16:56   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 103
Unfortunately only 1000 hours on AS350, R44/R22, no IR(H), no longlining time..
ka26 is offline  
Old 27th Dec 2012, 23:31   #4 (permalink)
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 59
shouldn't be too hard

I would love to fly in Italy!

Companies usually hire in the spring but it won't hurt to send out resumes soon. Lots of companies here in Canada operate R44 and AS350 and with a bit luck you can find a visa sponsor. Canadian Helicopters usually does sponsor quite a few Europeans every year but they ask for 1500 hrs so it depends how many resumes they'll get.
You can also look up the immigration website and see if you would qualify for permanent residency (like a green card).
PM me if you have any specific questions.

flyheli is offline  
Old 28th Dec 2012, 08:16   #5 (permalink)

Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Littlehampton, Prestwick & Calgary
Age: 64
Posts: 3,193
Converting the licence is quite straightforward - no mind games with the questions like you get with EASA. I can personally recommend the Central Helicopter Training Academy and Helicopters Canada in Ontario, Mountain View Helicopters in Calgary, and LR there as well, but there are others - it just depends on where you intend to do the training.

But it ultimately depends on immigration. If you plan to use your family as sponsors they need to be aware that they are liable for supporting you for ten years if you end up without work.

paco is offline  
Old 29th Dec 2012, 18:55   #6 (permalink)
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 103
Thank you very much guys...it will cost 5000 euros to get the convertion..too much, too much money without a guarantee to obtain a job and a working visa..I will think twice.. Thank you
ka26 is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:51.

1996-2012 The Professional Pilots Rumour Network

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1