Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies)A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.
Hey.. ive looked at both options with CTC, Oxford and Cabair. I have found that oxford has all the pro's. Cabair and CTC only train you to be a pilot then pretty much leave you in the lurch to find a job.. with Oxford they train you to the highest standards then find you a job and place you with an interview.. they garentee an 98% chance of getting a job.. the 2% were people who didnt have English rites to live here or correct paper work.. Oxford is slightly more expensive then anywere else.. but you get the status coming from them. If you want a great company to work for I.E British Airways.. they only take Oxford students and this applies to many other airlines. So if you want a status.. highly paid job.. and train with the best school.. i recommend Oxford.. im meant to be starting in september.. any more questions add me on msn at.. firstname.lastname@example.org
The CTC scheme does the very opposite of leaving you in the lurch to find a job! It only recruits cadets which it WILL place with an airline at the end of the training because thats when CTC get paid by the airline. Id be far more suspicious of Oxford who want as many wallets through the door as possible.
lol.. but not CTC then.. You know when you walk in somewhere.. and just feel its the rite place to be.. i got that from Oxford.. i felt at home.. and felt its the professional kinda place where i would enjoy learning.. its got the best statistics.. ok its a little more expensive.. but you get what you pay for.
yea i gotta agree, madmandan really sounds like he's fallen for the marketing stuff hook line and sinker lol.
Firstly OAT do NOT guarantee you a job at all. I do agree that I think they're a very professional school who are well respected and provide good training.
CTC is also a good company too, they are very well respected and also provide excellent training. I think its important to realise that the two companies provide different services. CTC are providing cadets to the airlines, in that there customers are the airlines, not the cadets. OAT is purely a training provider and as such OAT is providing the training TO the cadets ready for them to find their own jobs (with some help from oat of course, but thats all it is, HELP.)
In terms of financial benifit I don't think there is much difference between the two courses. both cost around £60k ish. The difference is that with OAT is that if you get a job you would enter on a full FO pay, which is substantially bigger then the cadet pay that CTC cadets will get frm their airlines, altho to balance it the CTC then get the airlines to pay for their trainig, so it all is about even, except for the fact that the CTC cadets will be bonded to their airline for 7 years.
I don't think there is much difference between the schools to be honest. In one way CTC is better since it is the closest thing you can get to having a guaranteed job, however OAT will also give you an excellent chance, especially with the industry improving as it is at the moment. I tried for CTC and failed at stage 4 unfortuantly, I am now planning on going to OAT. I not that bothered that I failed CTC and I am just as happy to be going to OAT, altho I would be just as happy if I were going to CTC. Just remember its a means to an end, if you try hard enough then whatever way you choose to get your licence then you will get there in the end.
I'd like to point out to everyone that what madmandan has said is NOT what OAT is marketing. When I have spoken to them they have been nothing short of totally honest with me. They have NEVER said that BA only take their grads etc just as they have NEVER guranteed a job.
Could someone give me some more information around which course works out the most cost effective?
From what i can make out you need a loan for all of them £50-60K, but the difference being that with CTC if you are placed with an airline they pay this off (£1k a month) over 7 years on top of your base salary.
How does this compare to what you would earn if employed after completing say the OAT course?
To match this payment you would need to earn an extra £15,400 (gross) a year. Is this realistic? Or is the only benefit with this route that you are not tied in for 7 years?
The difference with OAT is that you would be paid a full FO salary as opposed to the cadet salary of CTC. for example the cadet salary may be 21k but then 12k for the loan repayments from CTC. A cadet from OAT would be paid the full 30k+ salary.