PPRuNe Forums

Go Back   PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Passengers & SLF (Self Loading Freight)
Forgotten your Username/Password?

Passengers & SLF (Self Loading Freight) If you are regularly a passenger on any airline then why not post your questions here?


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 26th Apr 2010, 16:23   #1 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Surrey
Posts: 34
Is Radar24 accurate? Every air enthusiast seems to be addicted to the thing!

I've not seen it but read on another forum that all air enthusiasts are gazing at Radar24 to watch airspace. Surely you can't see all the flights in the sky in real time can you?

Last edited by FlyingVisit; 26th Apr 2010 at 17:42.
FlyingVisit is offline   Reply
Old 26th Apr 2010, 18:08   #2 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Age: 66
Posts: 420
FlyingVisit

It is very accurate, although about one minute delayed. I live on the approach to the easterlies at LHR. Zooming in, I can locate my house, and watch the little yellow planes fly over. The little yellow planes pass over about a minute after the real thing.

MPN11

Have you ever heard the phrase "live and let live"? After 45 years of aviating, I'm still an enthusiast, and love watching flightradar24. And yes, I do have a life!

Dave
Airclues is online now   Reply
Old 26th Apr 2010, 18:59   #3 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Confoederatio Helvetica
Age: 59
Posts: 1,337
I think it depends on ADS-B broadcasts, which is only about 60% of commercial aircraft. State flights, military flights and GA normally don't use ADS-B so ... it is accurate, but not complete.
ExXB is offline   Reply
Old 26th Apr 2010, 19:59   #4 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the past, or EGJJ, or sometimes KIAD.
Age: 69
Posts: 1,121
OK - apologies all round.

I guess a large part of life watching little dots moving around, and telling them what to do, has dulled the edge of my excitement


Fly safe, people.
MPN11 is offline   Reply
Old 26th Apr 2010, 21:25   #5 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Age: 66
Posts: 420
Although the arrivals for 09L fly over my house, the noise from 95% of them is not a problem. When the other 5% come over, a quick look at flightradar24 always shows that they are failing to achieve a CDA.

Dave
Airclues is online now   Reply
Old 20th May 2010, 23:28   #6 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 19
I live in between the Ockham and Biggin holds for Heathrow and have a similar thing on the iPhone (Plane Finder).

When the ash cloud thing was all happening it was extremely accurate. As the flights were starting to arrive back at heathrow on that first night when Willie Walsh told the CAA to go take a flying @%#! and the following day, when I heard a plane overhead, I could see it right over my location on the Plane Finder map and tell where it had come from and what the passenger in seat 21J had for their meal.

These iPhones are amazing!!
lucavigg is offline   Reply
Old 21st May 2010, 18:01   #7 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 544
A lactose free vegetarian meal?
L'aviateur is offline   Reply
Old 21st May 2010, 19:01   #8 (permalink)
Paxing All Over The World
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hertfordshire, UK.
Age: 57
Posts: 6,993
and, one day, the passenger in seat 21J will be looking at their moving map screen and zoom in on a house below and wonder what that person is looking at on the iPhone ...
PAXboy is offline   Reply
Old 26th May 2010, 09:55   #9 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 309
It only seems to work over Europe, is there an equivalent one for the Middle East, it would be handy to spot where the AC are while waiting to pick up passengers. The local flight arrivals is dreadful.
sirwa69 is offline   Reply
Reply
 
 
 


Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 15:20.


vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
1996-2012 The Professional Pilots Rumour Network