We used to do similar tricks with vinegar and sodium bicarbonate.
Then, of course, there was calcium carbide (when you could still get it). Carbide was used in coach lamps and, when mixed with water, it would produce acetylene, thus the story of the cat who swallowed carbide (not recommended) who had acetylene kittens.
SOME naughty boys would throw pieces of carbide to seagulls (who would catch and devour anything thrown to them). The seagull only did that once though, as once the carbide reached their inside . . . .
Thats pretty cool, brings back memorys of that dancing light show house at Christmas...
Yes, I can still raise a titter or two by uttering the tune. It was a great hit in our household!