Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

Police aviation found lacking

Wikiposts
Search
Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Search this Thread

Old 5th Aug 2003, 14:29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this in the Tampa Tribune.
Tampa, Florida - Research indicates the Tampa Police Department's aviation unit has one of the worst accident records in the country.
And requirements to become a Tampa police pilot are so minimal that most officers come nowhere close to qualifying for most commercial helicopter pilot positions.

The NTSB says each of the four Tampa police helicopter crashes that occurred during the past 10 years was caused by human error. The police department disputes the NTSB's finding.
"We happen to believe otherwise,'' said Deputy Chief Scott Cunningham, who blames two of the accidents on mechanical failures. "Whether we agreed with them or not, we went back and conducted training. I question the characterization of being the third worst in the nation,'' Cunningham said. "We'd have to take a look at that same data and everything else to make a determination as to how we fall out against other agencies.''

A review of 10 years of law enforcement accidents listed in the NTSB database showed that Tampa's aviation unit compiled the third-worst accident record in the country. Only the Alaska State Police and California Highway Patrol, both of which cover much larger territories, have had more accidents.

The aviation unit has six aircraft, six pilots, six observers - officers who sit next to the pilot, operate the cameras and keep in contact with the ground units - and three maintenance people to service the aircraft. The unit averages 260 hours of flying time a month. During the past 10 years, four accidents resulted in one death, three people seriously injured and four officers suffered minor injuries.

Compare that with the New York City Police Department. It has six choppers and flies an average of 300 hours a month. In the past 10 years, it had no accidents or injuries. The Houston Police Department has eight aircraft and flies an average of 450 hours a month. During that same time, it had one accident, resulting in a minor injury. And the Los Angeles Police Department flies 18 aircraft, racks up 1,800 flight hours a month and had no accidents in the past 10 years.

Former Tampa police pilot Don Olney, who retired in February and was a southeast regional director of the Airborne Law Enforcement Association, called his former unit's accident record embarrassing. "It surprises me,'' Olney said, "because it concerns me, and that's where the need for specialized training would come into play.''

To be a Tampa police flight officer or pilot, an applicant must be an officer, have a commercial license in both single-engine planes and helicopters, and have 250 hours of helicopter flight time.
The required flight time is far less than the hours required for commercial helicopter pilots. A review of several commercial pilot job openings showed they required a minimum of 1,500 hours of helicopter flight time. Some required at least 3,000 hours.

Cunningham says the department hires veteran pilots. "The last two pilots that we hired as police flight officers were ex-military pilots with over a thousand hours,'' he said. "We greatly exceed what the FAA requires as a minimum.'' Cunningham says that before a pilot can take up a chopper on his own, a minimum of 500 helicopter flight hours are required.

Olney, however, disputes that. "They've allowed people to fly helicopters as pilot in command before they get 250 hours,'' he said. "People can fly over the city and take calls before they get their 250 hours, and they call it training.''

Once certified, Tampa police pilots are supposed to receive refresher training every six months, according to the aviation unit's operations manual. But a city audit dated April 2002 found that police pilots were trained once a year. In some cases, including that of former chief pilot Jeff Fife and current flight supervisor Randall Miller, the training gap spanned years, records show.

Cunningham agreed the training wasn't being done in a manner consistent with the manual's requirements.
Records also show that until the department bought three Bell helicopters in 2001, most of the training was done in-house by Fife and Miller.
Gary Mock, an Orlando flight instructor with 30 years of experience, said it's less expensive for departments to train in-house than to send their pilots to factory schools or bring in consultants. There's a catch with in-house training, Mock said. "If the trainer has deficient training, then he creates bad habits, and those bad habits lead to other deficiencies, and then he trains a new pilot with the same deficiencies. So it's a self-perpetuating problem,'' Mock said.
"You also have an issue with familiarity. You have pilots that are training friends, other pilots that are friends, so consequently you'll have a tendency to let them get away with a little bit more.''

Hiring consultants can be expensive. Lunsford Air Consulting of Ormond Beach told Tampa police it would cost the department $10,500 to provide six pilots with emergency refresher training.

The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office brings in Lunsford every six months to provide refresher training for its pilots. In Pinellas County, the sheriff's office said it tries to send its pilots out at least once every other year to specialized schools.
In the past 10 years, the Hillsborough sheriff's department had one helicopter crash, and Pinellas had none. Both agencies have dual controls and try to fly with two pilots. Tampa has single-control aircraft.

In his 15 years with the air service, Olney said, the unit never had a formal training program. "We never had a complete manual that was signed off on by the department.''
Cunningham said he is under the impression the aviation unit has a formalized training program. "There should be a master training file that shows all this is going on, and if it's not, we'll take a look at it and find out why it isn't,'' he said.

In 1995, police flight observer Norris Epps, who was not wearing a life preserver, escaped the wreckage when a department chopper slammed into Tampa Bay. Epps drowned trying to make it to shore. The NTSB found that Epps couldn't swim and "was not briefed on the use of the life preserver.'' Months after Epps' drowning, records show, several pilots and observers attended a "drown proofing'' course at a local public pool.
Eight years later, records show, several new pilots and observers have had no such training.
Police spokesman Joe Durkin said the department held a water survival course in 2001 but couldn't say who attended or who was trained. "I think there is difficulty in ascertaining who's had what training as easily as we'd like,'' Cunningham said.

Training and experience separate the best units from the worst, Mock said. "You either train and you get your experience,'' he said, "or you end up paying for it in machines and people.''

Last edited by Bronx; 5th Aug 2003 at 14:42.
Old 6th Aug 2003, 04:28
Gatvol

Its unfortunate but many Law Enforcement agencies in the U.S. are like this. Mandatory that you are first an experienced Police Officer THEN you may fly. Problem is getting folks with Current flight experience to set that aside for a few years while they go out and learn the ropes as a Cop.
Taking a high stress situation and giving it to an experienced cop may be OK, but if he is not an experienced Pilot aslo, therin lies an accident waiting to happen.
Its not easy and some agencies such as Tampa may be paying the price for it.
Old 6th Aug 2003, 05:27

A couple of years ago I saw Discovery Wings program on Police Aviation. One pilot had started as a grunt cop, and to date had spent 80,000 dollars on flying training.
Old 6th Aug 2003, 05:52

Can anyone explain to me how the American Police Aviation system works, is it monitored and regulated ??

In the UK, the CAA have regulated police aviation since the early days and a few serious accidents occurred. We still have a few accidents, and the consequence of CAA regulation makes police aviation in the UK much more expensive and restricted in what it can do.

What's the US equivalent??
Old 6th Aug 2003, 05:56

There are no standard rules in US Police Aviation. Some units prefer police officers to become pilots while others prefer pilots who they teach to become officers. Others pull from either pool. The US laws concerning public aircraft allow a situation where there are no standards regarding licensing of pilots or of aircraft. A police force in the US can acquire a single engine surplus military aircraft with no records and have it flown over a city at night by a self-taught pilot with no civil certificate or military experience. Until recently they could even sell their services (not now). Duty hours, training, experience, and flight rules differ from city to city.

To be fair, compare the aviation budget of Tampa to LA or New York and there might be an interesting correlation with the accident and incident rate. Still, a national standard for US Airborne Law Enforcement is long overdue.
Old 11th Aug 2003, 03:12

Okay, some of the comments here really take this to an extreme. Lets take a look at the industry as a whole and you may find that commercial pilots not associated with the very few "bad" law enforcement pilots are just as "bad", if not worse. Remember, a cop usually can deal with more stress then your average joe. And look around you, bet you can identify a pilot who should not be in an aircraft

There is very very few agencies, if any, that do not require at least a commercial license. There is none that I am aware of that do not fly in compliance with the FAR's. Does that mean that all those young flight instructors with less then 300 hours that taught the industry should be grounded.

Of course the FAA has more lax rules, and I keep seeing everyone else saying the JAA should adopt some of them. Is there, on a flight hours basis more accidents in the U.S.? And of course, even though some do operate under the "public use" rules, most, 99% of them are keep in the exact shape or better as one not operating under those rules. My department operates an H-3 under the "public use" rules and I dare anyone to compare it to any other aircraft.

People make due with what they have, but this is a industry wide issue, not just law enforcement. Do not get caught up in the usual newspaper glorification so they sell more papers. Just look at the trade magazines, you will see they have addressed this issue as well.

And I will not get into the cop/pilot issue, as that would take several pages alone.

Why does the whole world (England, Isreal, Australia, Germany, Japan, the Air Force's, Navy's of those country's...etc) come to us to learn what we do? Some cops/pilots must be doing something right.

Rant off......
Old 11th Aug 2003, 03:22

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Well that rant was OK until you wrote .....

'Remember, a cop usually can deal with more stress then your average joe.'

It suggests that you are coming from the angle that policeman are a race apart. Supermen..... [as in 'Superpersons' these days I suppose.] Policepersons are born?

I stopped reading with any interest after that........

Not a line I have ever subscibed to.

I bet the average commercial pilot can usually deal with more stress then your average joe.....

What IS an 'average Joe?'

What is average?
Old 11th Aug 2003, 11:30

As long as city goverments maintain control over their police agencies there will never be an airbourne law enforcement "Standard". City budgets dictate the machine that is flown, and how much it is flown. I must agree with Helimark. I have not come across any police agency that do not require their pilots to posess an FAA commerical pilots license, and their mechanics to posess an FAA A&P. A huge percentage fly per the FARs. The "public use" clause, is usually cited by those flying ex-military aircraft, that the FAA has made it impossible to recertify with ridiculous requirements that do not make the aircraft any safer to fly.
And how could you begin to compare Tampa, to New York, or Houston. Police avaition departments are aircraft operators, some operators do a better job at operating than others.