Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies)
Reload this Page >

WWW and Scroggs, care to describe your last month?

Wikiposts
Search
Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

WWW and Scroggs, care to describe your last month?

Search this Thread

Old 1st Jul 2001, 16:05
InTheAir

fish WWW and Scroggs, care to describe your last month?

WWW and Scroggs,

if and when you get the time, we would appreciate a little description of "A month as an Airline Pilot". I'm sure the rest of the wannabe's would appreciate this too.

Something that includes your rosters, duty times, hours flown a month, nightstops, days off etc etc.

Again much appreciated.

ITA.

Old 1st Jul 2001, 17:36
Delta Wun-Wun

Cool

I second that.Infact anyone out there working for the Airlines who doesn`t mind letting us have a little insight into their world.

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

Old 1st Jul 2001, 18:10
Wee Weasley Welshman

Fair enough - not now though as I'm just of to Faro in an hour and with the recent disruption plus being on a 5 day nightstop in Bristol I haven't the time.

Should get it done by Wednesday for you.

Cheers,

Old 1st Jul 2001, 23:12
tailscrape

Thumbs up

Hi all,

I will tell u a bit about my month ahead if anyone wants to know that is!

Me:

Frozen ATPL with about 300 hrs.
In line training with my airline.

Work:

Tomorrow was due to be a Majorca trip. Just changed to day to a Greek Island route. Quite happy with that mind. Early start though....

Then, 4 days off. Back to work Saturday for a Spain run then 5 days off.

I can hear it now....does he ever work?!?

From there, things get busier with 3 days followed by a couple off etc for the rest of the month. 14 trips I have I think in July. So, busier towards the end as u can see.

Being in line training means I cannot do overnight flights, but CAN bring an aircraft back for a night landing......

Anyhow, all this means my roster tends to start in the morning or early afternoon. Which suits me fine.

If anyone needs extra (boring ) details, do let me know. I will try and dig some out for you.

As you may have guessed, I work for a large UK charter airline.

Hope this wasn't too painful for you all! And everyone remember......there is work, but you have to look hard for it. It won't come to you.

I hope you are ALL successful soon in your quest for work. GOOD LUCK. Don't let them get you down!!

Old 1st Jul 2001, 23:29
Tarmach

Question

tailscrape,

so where did you train to get a job like that. Did you go down the intergrated route?

Old 2nd Jul 2001, 00:16
InTheAir

Cheers WWW.

tailscrape, that would be brilliant. Btw, that is Greek Island and back again, then Spain and back again, isn't it?

[This message has been edited by InTheAir (edited 01 July 2001).]

Old 3rd Jul 2001, 00:07
scroggs

Unhappy

OK, here's my July roster. I'd give you my June one, but there was a lot of time off, including a week in Delhi, which is fun to do but not to read!
I came back from a six-day LGW-MCO(Orlando)-MAN-MCO-LGW trip at 0900(local) Saturday morning, and made it home to Essex about midday. Slept through to Sunday morning. On Thursday 5th I have to go to Gatwick for an afternoon doing smoke evacuations and playing with fire extinguishers - this'll go on to 2100. Friday morning (6th) I operate the VS41 LGW-SFO (San Francisco). On arrival at SFO (2320 UK time), the whole crew (20 of us!) get on a Continental flight to Las Vegas, arriving at 0220 UK time. On Sunday night (8th) we operate the VS44 LAS-LGW, getting back at about midday Monday 9th. I shall sleep through to the Tuesday morning!
Next trip is Saturday 14th, when I hop a BA shuttle to manchester to position for the VS75 MAN-MCO on the Sunday. For some reason, I've got a few nights in Orlando, operating back overnight 18th/19th. Sleep to 20th. On Tuesday 24th I have my annual SEP assessment and refresher (Safety Equipment and Procedures), then on the next day I operate the VS39 LHR-ORD (Chicago), returning overnight the next day and arriving Heathrow 0700 Friday 27th.
The last trip of thr month is Monday 30th, the VS47 to Toronto from Gatwick, returning on the morning of the 1st August.
That's a fairly typical roster, although there are much busier ones around. Mine is 64 hours flying time; 100 isn't unheard of (but our contract maximum is 750, so 70 monthly should be about average).
Want to try it? Get yourself 2500 hours of useful airline or military time and come and talk to us. The minimum (according to Virgin's website) is 1500 hours, but I know of no-one who's got in with that little. I had around 8000 hours when I started with Virgin.

------------------
Scroggs
Wannabes Forum Moderator
[email protected]

Old 3rd Jul 2001, 01:22
snooky

Try http://millen.test.uk.concentric.com/pilots/index.asp where you can see exactly what some pilots do.

Old 3rd Jul 2001, 01:54
Jetheat

Question

Hey Scroggs,

How many DAYS did you actually spend at home out of the whole month? How many days do you typically spend at home during a month.
Is it generally a week on and a week off or 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off?

Let me know

Tanks

------------------
Always make sure that your number of take-offs equals the number of landings!
_ _________________ _

You know you've landed with the wheels up if it takes full power to
taxi to the ramp

Old 3rd Jul 2001, 03:37
scroggs

Unhappy

Jetheat,
if you read my post you could work it out for yourself. In July I will have 13 days at home; count them. They are spread unevenly all over the month, never more than 4 at a time, as you can see. Having read my post again, do you think I work one or two weeks on/off? I'm not having a go at you, but I do wonder why I bothered to write it at all if you can't be bothered to read it!

------------------
Scroggs
Wannabes Forum Moderator
[email protected]

Old 3rd Jul 2001, 12:48
InTheAir

Thumbs up

Corr Scroggsy,

you sleep more than me

Cheers

Old 3rd Jul 2001, 13:39
tailscrape

Thumbs up

Tarmach....

In response to your question:

I went to Oxford in 1999 and 2000. Integrated CAA course which resulted in a JAA Frozen ATPL. And about 200 hours or so....

I then wrote off to absolutely everyone....and nagged them on the phone a lot too.

A couple of airlines expressed a "serious" interest. One was another large charter operator with blue and white Boeings (with a woman in a wheelchair on the tail) the other was a small but expanding turboprop carrier between LCY and Scotland. They rang me for interview the day I accepted my posting with my current employers.!!!! That's life isn't it...you wait ages and two opportunities come along at once!!

I got in my current seat, by a huge slice of luck! I was accepted into the ATP Academy scheme back at the end of last year.

Contrary to what a few people think, this scheme exists and is excellent if you get in a big airline via it. Obviously it is not so great if you don't.

It is worth remembering that whatever training you take to get a licence only gives the possibility of flying for a living. A lot of hard work comes after that to secure and hold down a job.....

On the other stuff, yes always out and back with my mob. Which suits me fine.

Oh and yesterday....up at 04:30.....delays....home at 23:00. That did involve a hefty drive either end though. But none the less a very long day!! Glamour? Hmmm, think about as glamourous as Anne Widdecombe.....

Good luck to everyone.

Old 3rd Jul 2001, 17:35
scroggs

Wink

InTheAir,
yes, sleep is an important part of my life! Thing is, on return to UK from any of these USA/Canada trip, you've been awake for over 24 hours and you've worked through the night. You are most definately knackered! More than a few of the long-haul community have killed or seriously injured themselves on the way home from work through falling asleep at the wheel of their car. Like food and sex, get sleep when you can!

------------------
Scroggs
Wannabes Forum Moderator
[email protected]

Old 3rd Jul 2001, 18:09
Delta Wun-Wun

Smile

Tailscrape,
What was the criteria for getting into the ATP Acadamy.Did they place you with your current employer?Were you paid whilst in the ATP scheme?

------------------

Old 3rd Jul 2001, 20:13
PFO

Scroggs et al,

With some of the rosters that I have seen to date it would appear that a good number of pilots spend a lot of time at home.

When I finally get to the LHS I would like to continue with my current occupation (financial adviser) on a part-time basis on my days off. Not least because of the fear of loss of licence!

Is this feasible??

PFO

Old 3rd Jul 2001, 20:30
Professor TailSpin

PFO

Surely you'll be looking at the RHS before the LHS?

However, interesting question. I'd also love to know how the airlines view their pilots doing other work on the side (like IT contracting or financial advising), as I'd be very interested in doing my current job (but as a contractor) on some of the days that I'm not flying (in years to come, if I ever make it to the RHS of any TP or jet)

Old 4th Jul 2001, 04:38
tailscrape

Thumbs up

ATP Academy:

As far as I know...Frozen ATPL, I/R, MCC, all exams done and being reasonably nice and reasonably competent/confident.

U do not have to be a nerd or a rocket scientist.

I however am not the mouthpiece for the Academy.Call them for info.....

Ye, they got me an interview. Yes I get paid something. No, I didn't pay £6000 to do the course.

Any more questions?

Good Luck.....

Old 4th Jul 2001, 11:24
martinf

fish

Scroggs

Assuming that your roster for this month is not unusual - I thought that most crews were rostered around a base which they then do most of their flying from. From your schedule you seem to at one time or another be flying from LGW, LHR and MAN which strikes me as unusual.

Also you will; manage to cover most of the north american destinations. How does the rostering system work in VS? Do you get the Asian/N American or sub-continent rosters?

------------------
You can't have everything........Where would you put it?

Old 4th Jul 2001, 12:31
PFO

Prof,

Sorry, I meant RHS!

PFO

Old 4th Jul 2001, 16:53
Delta Wun-Wun

Smile

Tailscrape,
A long way to go before I get to your heights,Just wandering whether they were worth considering once I`ve done the CPL/IR.I had a quick chat with Grandad Flyer at the seminars,she seemed quite pleased with the set-up and as also found employment as a result.

------------------

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.