Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

New Zealand - Training Schools and Job Prospects

Wikiposts
Search
Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

New Zealand - Training Schools and Job Prospects

Search this Thread

Old 6th Dec 2001, 12:50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Zealand - Training Schools and Job Prospects

I am trying to find web address and or email address for the following companies in NZ.
Mountain View Helicopters Ltd. and
Advanced ZFlight Limited.
Any help appreciated, thanks
Old 6th Dec 2001, 14:06

Here is one:

This One
Old 6th Dec 2001, 23:31

go to www.yellopages.co.nz and search for those names
Old 7th Dec 2001, 08:02

Here's another..
http://www.advancedflight.co.nz/
Old 13th Jan 2002, 20:21

Question New Zealand - Training and job prospects

has anyone here converted an faa or a jaa certificate/license to a nz cpl-h? what about validations? how long is it valid for? what about an instrument rating?

cheers
Old 14th Jan 2002, 12:59

Try <a href="http://www.caa.govt.nz" target="_blank">NZ CAA</a> for licencing info

Cheers, BigJim
Old 16th Jan 2002, 02:18

Post NZ Training south island

Can anybody give me information about a good flight school that also might be able to offer employment as a flight instructor after any training.
Old 17th Jan 2002, 03:37

Try Simon Expensive Flowers at Wanaka Helicopters.

<a href="http://www.heliflights.co.nz" target="_blank">www.heliflights.co.nz</a>
Old 9th Nov 2002, 21:00

Question New Zealand - Places to Fly Heles

I have a lifetime ambition planned to go to NZ in Jan 2003. Most of the time will be spent doing the usual stuff, but would like to get a brief taste of Kiwi heli-flying.

Can anyone suggest/recommend a company and/or location?? Mountains and spectacular scenery essential. Tourist sightseeing OK, but fancy at least a bit of stick time, if feasible.

UK ATPL with 6/7 types, but not looking to "convert", just to fly.
Old 9th Nov 2002, 21:57

There are lots of places that will proably let you go flying with an instructor (there is no recpriocal agreement with the uk). The question should be where is going to be the most senic so you get your best bang for you pound!

I would give Simon Spencer Bower a ring at Wanaka helicopters, he opertes a few r22's a r44 and a AS-350. The terrain is awsome. Mt Aspiring, glaciers and the lake. www.heliflights.co.nz. Wanaka is also where helicopter hunting was born (if you havent seen it see if you can get your hands on a video called the helicopter hunters)

There is an outfit at the airport in Nelson that has a r22.

There is also Heliflight in masterton on the north island. www.heliflight.co.nz

Personally go to Wanaka, it is an amazing place.I would move there in a heart beat if I could figure out how to make a living.(wait till you see how cheap real estate is comming from the uk!).. if your dissapointed Ill buy you a beer.

later

RB

in snowy colorado, wishing he was on the south island.....
Old 10th Nov 2002, 01:04

There's a request for information on helicopter flying in Colorado on another thread.
Can you help?
Or are you skiing?
Old 10th Nov 2002, 08:13

Definitely base yourself in the South Island, nothing really to see in the north island. Flying out of Wanaka would be the best choice, closest flight school to the best parts of the southern alps, however accommodation is expensive as this is a small tourist town. Christchurch is the largest city in the south island with plenty of choices for night life and accommodation, the local company Garden City Helicopters is based at Christchurch international airport and offer scenic flights or training in AS350, R44 and R22, great training area and very close to some very scenic locations. I did my flight training in both islands and there is no comparison.
Old 10th Nov 2002, 13:40

Angry

Nothing pisses me off more than another kiwi telling a foriegner that there is nothing to see in the North Island. Complete BS. What a completely stupid and ignorant comment. Sounds more like something an aussie would say.

For some excellent flying in the central north island go to Taupo airport and take a jolly through the Kiamanawas and up and over Ruapehu (an active 10000ft volcano). No volcano's in the SI. Additionally, in the North you will be able to train with some guys who have a massive amount of local and international experience, not just 10000hrs of instructing. There is a bloke called Bruce (?) who runs a school out of Taupo airport. He took over from Peter Avery in about 1995. This guy has 17000hrs of work in all manner of american and russian gear all over Australasia and PNG. He can show you how to fly a R22.
Living costs are cheap in the North Island and most of the operators will help you out with accomodation.
Have fun.
Old 10th Nov 2002, 18:42

...you tell 'em straight, steve76!

north-island:
http://www.nshelicopters.co.nz
http://www.heletranz.co.nz
Old 10th Nov 2002, 22:09

Forgot about Bruce. Bruce Harvey - Harvey Helicopters... Ill dig for his email. [email protected]

There is also Ian Wakeling. Another super high time guy with international experience. He has a r22 he flies out of his farm in Wanganui (sp).
Ian Wakeling, Helicopter Flight Training, Wanganui, North Island. . Phone/Fax 06 342 1879.

He was the test pilot for Hiller back in the 70's

Expensive is a relative term. If you are comming from the UK or the US Wanaka is still really cheap.

Garden city are the guys who have that r22 in Nelson at the airport. Its there to keep the rust off the guys who fly the rescue squirrel.

Steve, I just perfer the S Island. More things I am interested in ...

Heliport- was skiing today 16 inches of fresh pow-pow... ill make a post over there....

Old 11th Nov 2002, 21:59

Thanks guys for the info - plenty for me to work on

I did not mean to start an argument
Old 14th Nov 2002, 22:08

Helinut,

I have done alot of flying in both the North and South Islands of New Zealand and would suggest the following;

1) The time of year you are intending to go to NZ is smack in the middle of the America's Cup yachting final, hence try and get yourself a machine out of Auckland and do some flying around or near (depending on airspace restrictions at the time) the sailing regatta - it's a spectacular site.
2) As previous replys have mentioned, next stop should be the lower South Island. Try Wanaka or Queenstown for operators most will be happy to do a u-fly scenic trip. If the weather permits try and fly into Milford sound and get a landing (or two) in at the one of the many glaciers on the way back.

3) Forget the one eyed comment of Steve76, he should learn to read.

4) Accomodation can be expensive, but the great thing is that all levels of budget are catered for. Get yourself a 'Jason's' accomodation guide and book your next stop accomodation at least a day or two before.

Best of luck - BigJim
Old 15th Nov 2002, 02:27

Well BJ,

I can certainly read unlike half the inbred lower SI. As for being "one-eyed" that is a completely accurate description of yourself.

If you really have flown all round NZ then you would realise the ignorance of the statement "Don't bother with the North Island, nothing to see there". I was up spraying at dawn over most of the North Island for the better part of 3 years. I have flown over just about all the space available. Believe me it is just as impressive as the SI. Not as grand....but as impressive.

As for taking a machine out for a pole over the Americas Cup. Well good luck. If you can afford the turbine, go for it, but there is a good chance it won't have floats and neither will a robbie if you go the affordable route.

helinut, if you want to cruise over the Remarkables I certainly affirm that it is magnificent. However, it may be more affordable to take a fixed wing. You will see more and go further for your pound.

If you really want to see some Kiwi heli flying, let me know and I will push you in the direction of a couple of lads out on Venison recovery.....

Enjoy our land,

Steve
Old 19th May 2003, 05:17

Nz Atpl (h)

Aus and NZ have a TTMA agreement which allows the transfer of professional aircrew qualifications between the 2 countries without having to do further exams etc.

The Aus ATPL(H) has a 'lower requirment' for hours and qualifications than the kiwi ATPL (H), and the NZ CAA states that even though you do hold the Aus ATPL you do actually require the NZ equivalent hours and experience before they will issue you with their ATPL.

Has anyone had experience in transferring the ATPL's with or with out problems.

I have an Aus ATPL (H) but don't have the twin, or IFR that the kiwi one requires.

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th May 2003, 13:56

Under TTMRA it would appear that you have to make application and that would be assessed. There are enough "differences" still between Aus and NZ to not let it be just a simple "rubber stamp" exercise. Even at the CPL level there are many differences. i.e. There is no requirement for mountain training in Australia. If you look at the definition of "mountainous terrain" in the NZAIP you won't be going far or landing in many places on an Aus licence. Sling is part of the NZ CPL(H) yet an addition to the Australian one. Aussies have only just realised what a hook is in the last 15 years. Couldn't believe that helicopters didn't all have hooks when I first went there. Was like a blade was missing or something! Night qualification is part of the licence and not an addition.

So if you have an Australian licence on face value it would be valid but not include "sling, mountain or night" whereas the Kiwi one would but wouldn't say so.

I think under TTMRA you would still have to meet the requirements or you would be allowed to operate only within the limits of your licence. They are NOT issuing you with a Kiwi licence, but recognising your qualifications.

In NZ you will have to do a flight test for the issue of a NZ ATPL (H) whereas there is no requirement in Australia. There is no requirement for twin "time" in either licence yet the "flight test" in NZ shall be conducted in a twin. You are required to have a current instrument rating for the NZ licence.

Have been dabbling in this for a while watching the differences and they are substantial. I hold or have held licence's in both pilot and engineer from both sides of the ditch and the way they are administered is very different. Check out the Aussie v Kiwi medical differences, the LAME differences blah blah................

TTMRA means Trans Tasman Mutual RECOGNITION Agreement. In each direction it is a case of recognising what you have. And what you have may be used as credit towards what you need.

Check the respective web sites, rules and Advisory Circulars. The Kiwi site may be easier to navigate and everything is written in English versus "legalese" - remember the Aussies are on their third attempt in about 10 years to re-write the rules. We won't go any further there..................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.