Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Admiratly Interview Board - Questions??

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Admiratly Interview Board - Questions??

Search this Thread

Old 29th Aug 2002, 13:40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Admiratly Interview Board - Questions??

Can someone please briefly talk me through what goes on AIB for aircrew. (I've passed the aptitude test already)

Simple question I hope, thanks in advance

Feneris
Old 29th Aug 2002, 14:28

I was worked up about AIB / OASC too, just remember - its about you for the most part! - just read a few papers and get up to speed on the current affairs + the speed/dist./Time stuff.

Nobody can tell YOU how to prepare yourself - just take it in your stride & you'll get what you deserve. Nobody is going to hold you by the hand & lead you through it.
Old 29th Aug 2002, 19:49

Admiralty not Admiratly.
Be yourself. They will tell if you are trying to be someone you are not.
Good Luck.
Old 29th Aug 2002, 20:48

roto pennae veneficus

I did it in '96, don't expect it's changed much....

First Day is arrival / form filling, looking around at your fellow victims and thinking ohmigod they're far better than me. This is normal but remember you are not competing against any other person, only the benchmark set by the board. Don't lose sight of this, it will help when you're under pressure during the following days! However, first impressions count, so make sure you are dressed smartly, lose the chewing gum and turn your mobile phone off (you'll look like a berk if it goes off in the waiting room). Get to know your fellow candidates, certainly, but don't try second guessing their abilities from day one. The one gobbing off in the corner about his dad the Commander and all his hours on a cessna 152 will make him stand out as being a bit of a tool, and probably not really what the AIB are looking for. Invariably you'll go to the Cocked Hat Public House for a few drinks (the pub outside Sultan). A pub during AIB? if you speak to most front line aircrew, we all remember being the ones who went down the pub and had a good time.....

Day 2 is Testing Day, and does what it says on the tin ie you are being tested. Mathematics, English, Gen Knowledge and Psychometric Testing takes place, some negatively marked, some multi choice. They often give you less time than it takes to complete the paper to see how you work under pressure. The Maths multi choice usually has 2 very close answers, 2 definite wrong answers. English tests include punctuation, spelling, usage (miaow is to cat as bark is to...... dog / cow / pig / sheep) type questions. You have to precis a passage of text, ie bring out the pertinent points concisely, i think in less than 50 words. Useful practice is to precis a newspaper article. Psycometric tests are your basic IQ tests, so read an IQ quiz book. You also have to write an Essay on a given subject, once again time limited. Be concise, to the point, don't waffle, structure it as best you can (intro, middle, conclusion). If it asks for your opinion, do just that, don't try to second guess what they are looking for.

The Afternoon session is group discussion time, where you and your team of 5 sit round a table and go through a scenario. Usually of the "you, a vicar, a pregnant lady, old man, scientist are on a desert island, must leave one behind, who will it be?". With any group discussion, best thing is not to shout down everyone round the table to get your idea across nor sit in the corner saying nothing. Listen to what people have to say, then make a considered statement. Don't be afraid to stick to your guns or change your mind if someone comes up with a better idea. Shows you are a team player who listens. You will also get your ideas torn to shreds by the AIB staff. This is supposed to happen and assesses your reactions in this situation. Don't lose your calm, if you believe your team's idea is a good one and can be backed up by facts, stick to it - use what info you have been given and use common sense.

The Practical / Interview day is probably the day that scares people the most. Practical exercises are designed to assess your potential as a leader and as a team player. As team leader, they aren't looking for a leader straight out of the box - you are trained for that. They want to see you have potential, can think on your feet, can motivate a group of people and get your point across. When you're a team member, you're still being assessed. perhaps more so. How do you react to bad leadership? if you have a better idea, how do you put that across? do you try and take over? A good team player should let the team leader lead, and if he's struggling, guide and advise rather than dismiss: ("i like your idea, but how about putting this plank here instead? i think we'd get across quicker that way. What do you think?")

The interviews are quite daunting if you are unfamiliar. go in prepared (current affairs, Navy news, political events, UK politician's names, any hot topics basically from the last 6 months or so. Imagine what going in to the AIB on Sept 12th was like..). Look the questioner in the eyes when answering, but also be aware of the other 2 members on the interview panel - imagine you are public speaking to an audience of 3. Sit up straight, don't fiddle with watches, jewellery, etc. don't slouch or appear uninterested. TIP: if you are nervous, imagine the people sitting opposite you are sat on the loo - amazing how that image can make even the most scary interviewee seem less intimidating!! Be honest, don't waffle and if you don't know, say so. You'll be asked to point to places on a map (with the USA in the middle - not something we're used to in Europe) so geographical knowledge is useful too. Be prepared for the "could you kill someone in the line of duty" question as well - answer honestly!!

The Personal interview is a one-on-one with a Lieutenant who goes through your personal history. Drug taking, sexual preference was asked when i did it, so be aware of the odd curve-ball question!! Once again, be honest.

That covers most of it, i've probably left some bits out, but hope it helps. Good luck!
Old 30th Aug 2002, 15:00

Thanks a lot for the lengthy reply greenhaven. I'll be brushing up on the IQ tests bit, world locations, not to mention everything and anything to do with the Navy.

Cheers, F
Old 30th Aug 2002, 15:30

From Greenhaven's reply it sounds pretty much unchanged from when I did it in '79. Only other thing is don't get downhearted if half way through you think you've failed - the truth is that you will have no idea how you are doing.

The second day into mine a Petty Officer for some reason told me I HAD failed, which was pretty depressing just before the board interview. He was wrong, I passed, and I've got no idea why he said it.

Good luck.
Old 31st Aug 2002, 18:05

Sounds exactly as was in 1971 to me.

Make sure you know which ships embark aircraft, and which aircraft.
I was almost thrown by the psycho curveball, who asked me if I had ever fantasised about sleeping with my mother. Refrained fom hitting her though.
In the Groupex, the tip is good for when part of the team; I had gone first as team leader, and it had all worked rather well - I thought. I stood around waiting to be told what to do by the next leader 'candidate' and had a CPO whisper in my ear, "Sir, they like to see people taking part!!" I'm sure that must have saved my bacon.

Oh, don't make the mistake of saying you read a newspaper, eg Telegraph, Times etc unless you do, because you are likely to be asked the name of the Air/Defence/Naval correspondent, editor, etc.

Good luck
Old 31st Aug 2002, 20:53

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
BŁoody worrying as an aspirant baby matelot to have a CPO 'whispering in your ear', I would have thought!

"Ah-harr, young Sir. Have 'ee ever seen the golden rivet? Let I show 'ee.........."
Old 1st Sep 2002, 13:14

Another top tip if going by train is to have a look in the harbour on the ferry and see what ships are in port as they will ask to see how interested you really are.
Just chill out, act yourself and look smart. Everybody else will be going through the same thing so try and relax and enjoy it and hopefully you won't need to go again.
I went 3 times ( twice for sponsership) before getting in but am now front line aircrew.
Old 2nd Sep 2002, 16:29

Know what to expect in the first 2-3 years after Officer Training and get hold of a copy of Ships Guns and Missiles. Know the difference between, say, a Type-22 and a Type 23 Frigate.

Typically, they will ask you one question then a follow-up on the same subject to test your depth of knowledge. For example, "What types of aircraft do we use.. " followed by "What engine does a Sea-Harrier have"...etc.

Be yourself and good luck
Old 2nd Sep 2002, 16:59

When I was at prep school in the thirties, the boys being coached for Admiralty interviews for entry into Dartmouth at age 13 were briefed to expect questions to test their powers of observation. Like "which gets up front legs first -a cow or a horse?" Which explains a lot!
Old 2nd Sep 2002, 17:05

Pssst!! and for gods sake don't mention the Nottingham.
Old 2nd Sep 2002, 17:57

Wink And....what happened??

Love to know how you got on when it came to it.

As a matter of interest, there was once a book I read called:
"We joined the Navy"
which was a total hoot. I remember the bit about the AIB, where the panel were discussing the candidate....

'Not too clever, not much initiative, good sense of humour - should do well....PASS!'

Anyway, again, good luck. If you want to be really daring, talk about the Nelson Touch!
Old 2nd Sep 2002, 22:46

"We Joined the Navy"

...was part of a series of books by a chap called John Winton, I believe...sort of the RN equivalent of BEagle (!)...

Anyway...the exact details of the RN have undoubtedly changed since then, but the spirit of both the interview process, initial training, and basic sea training remain as described. If you want a bit of light hearted relief then search the 2nd hand bookshops for them. Otherwise, note the wise words posted by others above.

Good Luck!
Old 10th Feb 2003, 15:47

Cool

Just had a reasonable amount of success at AIB!! I passed, but with my aptitude and AIB scores I've been warned I'll be lucky to get pilot, but should be ok for Warfare. Before applying I mainly wanted pilot, but am now really enthusiastic about joining into any branch.

AIB was easier and a lot more chilled out than I imagined. It seemed to be a realistic come and be yourself, while we (AIB staff) calmly look and decide if we like what we see.

Cheers for the earlier help from others in this thread.

F

(Waiting hopefully for good news!)