Wikiposts
Search
ATC Issues A place where pilots may enter the 'lions den' that is Air Traffic Control in complete safety and find out the answers to all those obscure topics which you always wanted to know the answer to but were afraid to ask.

NATS Recruitment

Search this Thread

Old 5th Dec 2000, 03:53
MCH2000

Exclamation NATS Recruitment

Hi Everyone!

I have my 1st Selection Day for NATS at Manchester on Wednesday.

Can anyone help me in any way at all??

Hints, tips etc., are more than welcome!

CHEERS!
Mark.

Old 5th Dec 2000, 16:37
CharlesDavid

Thumbs up

Make sure you've read the stuff they sent you and that you know it well. Try doing a search under "Recruitment" or "Test" as there a few useful posts from the past.

Good luck!

Old 5th Dec 2000, 22:32
No speed Restriction

Talking

Mark,

I will be there tomorrow too, have done them once before.....
Don't worry

Read the paperwork they have sent you as you will be tested on this (no multiguess on this one)
Try the examples sent out to you (opened out cubes etc)
you will be tested on these sort of things......the cubes (not nice) number and letter sequences etc. Don't be worried if you don't finish them all it is designed to be tough !
There is an OPQ where they ask you about yourself to see that you will fit in with the rest of the students. This is marked by a computer ( you just fill in little boxes)
There is another test I think it is called LSQ and again it is computer marked........whatever you do don't lie on these tests as they can tell, they ask about 250 questions but all are very nearly the same and any inconsistencies will stand out

Good Luck

CYA there ;-) PS Don't forget your ID/Passport

Old 6th Dec 2000, 01:39
Jas

Talking

Good luck to both of you - everything said so far is spot on; just read the stuff they gave you and try your best, and be honest in the personality questionnaires. At the end of the day as long as you've done your best nobody can argue [at least in theory...! Somebody always does ]

Jas

Old 6th Dec 2000, 02:06

Wink

No Speed Restriction surely you have done the test's more than once!

Have you read all the bumpf! LOL

Old 6th Dec 2000, 02:09
2 sheds

....and if you are not successful, don't lose any sleep about it. Before long, post-PPP, ATC will be nowhere near such an attractive occupation, and I am sure you must be well qualified for other career routes.

Old 6th Dec 2000, 02:51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

MCH2000, take no notice of the prattish comments from 2 sheds. I have been in ATC for 39 years and have enjoyed my career as an ATCO in CAA/NATS. IT is and will remain for a long time into the future a great career with plenty of job satisfaction and the pay is pretty good too. Unfortunately there are some whingers in all professions.
A 34 hour work week and a salary potential of £62k cannot be all bad.
Go for it and good luck
Old 6th Dec 2000, 04:06
No speed Restriction

Wink

113.55.......honestly only once hehe...........

nice nic by the way....very subtle hehe

Old 6th Dec 2000, 04:47
HounslowHarry

Thumbs up

28R
You are mad and I'm sorry to have to pick you up on YOUR prattish comments as this isn't really the place. I welcome you taking you post to a separate thread. Just like your name you are a little in the past.

Lads (or lassies) this IS a great career, but be aware of the changes taking place - they may even ask you about the general political picture.

The best thing you can have in ATC is an interest in aviation - that may sound stupid, but it makes the job possible. People who want to do the job for the £62k don't oft succeed.

The best advice I can offer is just relax, don't try too hard and let your enthusiasm for aircraft come through.

Best of Luck

Old 6th Dec 2000, 23:25

Red face

28Right should that 6 be a 5 or am I missing something?

Old 9th Dec 2000, 17:32
HounslowHarry

He's obviously a SATCO or Higher.
Hence the slightly warped view of the workers he holds.

Old 21st Dec 2000, 04:19
drop now now now!

MCH 2000,

I'd be interested to know what exactly happened on your selection test day as I may be attempting the same thing shortly myself.
Hopefully this will help future applicants as well as me at the next recruitment round.

Thanks

Drop now now now!

Old 22nd Dec 2000, 15:49
MCH2000

Thumbs up

drop now now now!,

THE DAY
=======
We all sat in a room and a woman spoke to us about the day.

Basically, there are 4 groups: which all split up and do the tests at different times. There is also a chat with an ATC officer, which is very helpful and useful (courtesy of "No Speed Restriction" !!!)

Tests are on what everyone else has mentioned on this thread...but the cubes test is very hard!!

When is your date?

To Everyone:

Thank you to everyone for help on this topic.
I got the results yesterday, and I passed.

Next stage, the interview: I want to open a new thread for help on this. Please be as helpful for the interviews!

Thank you,

MCH2k

Old 27th Dec 2000, 22:28
drop now now now!

MCH 2000

I just got the initial letter back the other day and was told to expect to take the tests in february.

Congrats on passing the tests and good luck on the interview! Let us know how you get on.

Drop now now now!