Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > ATC Issues
Reload this Page >

A career in ATC...

ATC Issues A place where pilots may enter the 'lions den' that is Air Traffic Control in complete safety and find out the answers to all those obscure topics which you always wanted to know the answer to but were afraid to ask.

A career in ATC...

Old 21st Sep 2001, 00:41
uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A career in ATC...

Very soon, I was due to start as a sponsored cadet pilot with a UK major but due to the events of last week, they've pulled the plug. So I am therefore weighing up my options. I took a class in ATC at an american uni and really enjoyed the mental challenge and responsibility of the job (or at least the copmputer simulations of the job). I would be extremely grateful if anyone could give me an insight into NATS recruitment, training, pay (in the first 3 years and training), holidays, locations etc... Also, if I were to apply very soon and be successful, how long would it be to get on a course? Are NATS even recruiting at the moment?
Thanks in advance.
UK
Old 21st Sep 2001, 02:53

uk,

Putting it briefly,

As I understand it we recruit continuously. The selection procedure is two stage - apitutde tests then an interviews at the second stage followed by a Class One medical. Not too sure about the lead in time to start a course.
Money - for the first 12-18 months at the college in Bournemouth, about £17,000, rising to £24K ish upon your first posting (called the Training and Development pay scale). After about two years at this sort of level you go onto the bottom of the appropriate ATCO grade for your location (LHR, LGW, MAN and the area centres being a higher grade than others) which is low £30,000s eventually rising to £45K+.

Posting locations other than the above - Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Birmingham, Cardiff, Belfast Aldergrove, Luton, Stansted, Southampton, Farnborough, and London City.

Should fine more info in the recruitment section on the NATS website www.nats.co.uk .

Given the global shortage of ATCOs, no matter how bad a recession we are currently plunging into, job security should be much higher than in the airlines just now.

Hope this helps you.
Old 21st Sep 2001, 15:15
uk

Thank you for the info.
Could anyone give me a bit more of an insight into life at the training college. Is it residential or can you commute? Mon-Fri, 9-5? Is it intensive or fairly easygoing? Any other info would really help.
Cheers
UK
Old 21st Sep 2001, 16:31

Just wondering...If you ultimately want to end up flying rather than controlling, would the recruiters at NATS look down on a PPL listed in your cv?

I say this because their recruitment seems geared around people choosing NATS as a career, not just a stepping stone.

Any views on this?
Old 21st Sep 2001, 18:05

uk -

I have written a few web pages about NATS recruitment. I havent got my pages hosted though - so if you want me to email you a copy, mail me at [email protected]

Cheers
GW

PS CATC is not residential but has recently started some sort of shift working - so its not exactly 9-5. But I dont think you have to work weekends yet.
Old 21st Sep 2001, 19:10

laurie, thats easy to get around. Just say you wanted a career in aviation, took a PPL, and learnt about ATC on the way, giving the inspiration to apply. Admit flying is/was fun, but only on a private venture, and you'll keep up the licence. So many are ppl holders in NATS they probably wouldn't care, oh, and they are also desperate for more 'good' cadets.
Old 21st Sep 2001, 22:20

Cool

UK
The college is going onto shift working wef 1st Oct - basically a morning shift 07-1400 and an afternoon shift 1400-2100 ish, alternating weekly.

5Miles - well really, how non-PC can you be? The word "cadet" was dropped a year or so ago because it was too militaristic (no kidding), and the term "student" adopted. Now it is considered that this encourages rather too much of a "student" attitude and so they will soon be known as "trainees" or TATCs. The cost of this important change in terminology is as yet unknown.
Old 22nd Sep 2001, 18:52
Fast Jet Wannabe

Question

How old do you have to be to start training? Oficially and realistically?

Old 23rd Sep 2001, 00:58

Age limit is 28, I believe. I was 27 when I went for my first interview and still got in. Think the age limit is higher for ex RAF, but not sure if that is only if you pay your own fees. Hope that helps
Old 23rd Sep 2001, 22:48

Question

Maximun age on date of application has recently been raised to 29. (I'm 29 and sitting my initial selection tests this coming Thursday.)

It seems from the majority of threads on this issue that most people aren't successful first time around. Regretably, this will be my first and only possible application.

I've been wanting to become an ATCO for a few years now. Does anyone have any idea of how many people get in first time?
Old 25th Sep 2001, 22:14

Thumbs up

Me, and between a quarter and one third of my course. One scraped through on the third attempt but didn't make it out. I had a very sparse aviation background and got in ok. Be positive at the personnel interview, it's the most important part of the process.
Good luck
Old 25th Sep 2001, 23:25

Smile

Cheers for the info, Hat, It's given me a little more confidence.
Old 26th Sep 2001, 12:30

how long does it generally take from the date of application to have completed all of the selection process, receive word, and a date for starting?

In the experience of all reading?

Thanks,
Laurie.
Old 28th Sep 2001, 23:22

Wink

Applied in september and started the following March. That was quicker than most though. There used to be a waiting list of about 18 months. Until two tuesday's ago they were doubling up the intake at the college but I gather that is now "under review" whatever that means !!!!!!
Old 28th Sep 2001, 23:38

Laurie,

Sat selection tests yesterday and can offer the following info based on what has happened to me so far, and what I was told yesterday:

04/07/01: Application sent
26/08/01: Invited to take test
27/09/01: Sat test
15/10/01: Should know result of selection test
26/11/01: (or thereabouts) Interview (if successful)
17/12/01: Results of interview.

Of course, the medical needs to be passed after that, so in the unlikely event that I get that far, it will be at least a July - January process. I think it would be more likely to be a July - April process, though.

Hope that's of some help
Old 29th Sep 2001, 00:02

Talking

And if it all goes well:

01/01/05 First validation.
Old 29th Sep 2001, 00:08

Cool

But do dreams REALLY come true?????????????