Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

UAS aptitude test

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

UAS aptitude test

Old 30th Oct 2004, 10:36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UAS aptitude test

Hello everybody. I have an uas aptitude test next week. I was wondering whether you could offer me any advice on what to expect or if there is anything i can do to prepare. Any advice would be most helpful. Thanks
Old 30th Oct 2004, 14:37

I'm not sure is UAS' are the same as the RAF's, but this is what RAF aptitude testing involves:

1) Control of Velocity test (CVT)

Use a joystick left and right to hit the targets. The targets are small circles cascading down the screen but theres a delay between what you do, and the dot actually moving.

2) Instrument Comprehension (INSC)

A measure of general and spatial awareness using basic aircraft instrumentation (alt, art horiz, vertical speed, air speed, compass aswell as turn and bank). First part uses just the artificial horizon and compass to identify the correct orientation of an aircraft from a set of pictures, the second part uses all 6 instruments and given a number of verbal descriptions of orientation. You then have determine which description matches what you have on screen.

3) Sensory Motor Apparatus (SMA)

This is basically a tracking task. Using a joystick and pedals to move a dot both horizontally (pedals) and vertically (joystick), keep the dot as close to the target as possible. The dot is moved away forcing you to compensate.

4) Digit Recall

Short term memory test where you are presented with sets of numbers of varying length on screen, each being shown for about 10 secs. As soon as it disappears you have to type the number in.

5) Vigilance (VIG)

You are presented with a 9x9 matrix on screen. Each cell in the matrix is identified by numbers along the top and left hand side. You then are asked to do 2 tasks; 1 routine and the other priority. The routine tasks involves entering the cell number when a star appears in it, the priority task involves doing the same when an arrow appears. This has to be cancelled first by pressing a key then entering the cell number.

Scores are based on accuracy and speed... obviously

Good luck.
Old 30th Oct 2004, 14:53

If your doing it at Cranwell its normally the full set of RAF tests. Heard somewhere however, that if its at a careers office could be the Pilapt tests - do a search and see what you come up with. CTC use it for their selection.

The CTC version was harder than the RAF tests. I took it with two Linton boys and none of us passed. However, your applying for the RAF - and I don't know what the standards are I'm afraid.
Old 31st Oct 2004, 23:49

Joe2812

I assume that you have now done these tests, and if so you should also remember the short speech at the start which goes something along the lines of not discussing the specific content of the aptitude tests with potential candidates.

'Nuff said.
Old 2nd Nov 2004, 15:26

Green Meat,

You assume wrong, haven't been anywhere near an aptitude test in my life.

Seeing as aptitude is a naturally ability which you cannot really 'train', knowing what is coming won't help that much.

Drop into your nearest AFCO for a leaflet titled something along the lines of 'RAF Testing' and you can have all of the above in nice glossy print.
Old 2nd Nov 2004, 19:46

Reference your quotations in that case! Neck ever so slightly wound in as that information was not disseminated to candidates before I passed the OASC aptitude tests.

Incidentally, it is possible to partially train for such a test. Knowing what you would be facing say, in the hangar exercises, removes the x-factor of demonstrating the ability to cope with with a new situation. I'm frankly astounded that doris have chosen to publish that level of information for the aptitude tests.
Old 2nd Nov 2004, 19:54

GM,

Sorry, should have referenced really... not exact quotes, just the general jist of the leaflet!

Have to say, I was rather surprised to see it sat that as it was one of the elements of OASC I was unsure about, hopefully my hours on the PS2 has honed these skills of mine slightly!

After seeing a guy at my AFCO only get high enough aptitude for steward (no offence to any stewards here), maybe there're giving us young-uns all the help we can get!

Re: the hangar exercises, only so much you can do with a few boxes, planks, ropes and poles! The key to most of life's mysteries is to build a tripod apparently... we shall see when I reach OASC.

Old 2nd Nov 2004, 20:23

Oh no Tripods at OASC - they're the perserve of IOT!

The apparatus are a bit more permanent, with only a few movable bits of kit (planks etc) at OASC.

Good Luck