Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > ATC Issues
Reload this Page >

Upcoming Test Day...

Wikiposts
Search
ATC Issues A place where pilots may enter the 'lions den' that is Air Traffic Control in complete safety and find out the answers to all those obscure topics which you always wanted to know the answer to but were afraid to ask.

Upcoming Test Day...

Search this Thread

Old 20th Jul 2000, 01:43
Jas

Question Upcoming Test Day...

Hi guys.

First post here, just wanting any advice or tips really. Have read through most of the posts on this subject, but they're quite dated now, so here goes:-

I'm going to do my Selection tests in Bournemouth on the 11th August. Just asking the usual - any tips, advice etc... Anyone else by any chance going? Any advice appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Jas.

Old 20th Jul 2000, 19:44
Jas

Smile

Thanks for the advice Dog

The test is the first initial one. Quite looking forward to it. I feel a bit better (after reading some posts on here) about the fact that I do have an interest in aviation, so I'm feeling a bit more confident. Your advice is definitely appreciated.

Hope to speak again soon, thanks Jas.

Also: Just wondering about the speed of the whole process - if I'm taking my initial tests in August, and all goes well with subsequent tests/interviews etc, when time of the year would you expect to start your course? Cheers

Old 20th Jul 2000, 23:19
Spotter

Unhappy

If we were all such balanced well adjusted citizens before we started, what happens at the college to change us so much?

Old 23rd Jul 2000, 17:42
Goldfish Watcher

Arrow

Browsing through the ANO for avaiation law doesn't help ones sanity much!
Neither does endless hours looking at blurry pictures of Bandeirante's and Twin Otters..............

Old 26th Jul 2000, 23:37
NATS Hopeful

Question

I did the initial selection tests in May and had the final test and interviews a couple of months ago.

The first batch of tests involve quick, accurate analysis of problems - for example, recognising and matching 7-letter (or number) codes, 3D spatial realisation (!?) and mental arithmetic.
I got past these ones without much of a hitch.

Once past these, you then have to sit a computer test where you must have VERY quick reactions while getting everything correct. I was reliably informed that with the last section, they are more concerned with avoiding collisions rather than the arithmetic (you'll find out what I mean!:eek
You then have to do two interviews, one with an ATCO and one with a Personnel Officer. I messed up the ATCO one and have to be re-interviewed in November. As soon as you pass all this, you get to have a medical and, TA DA, you find yourself down at Bournemouth.

Good luck with your tests. Let me know how you get on!

NH

Old 27th Jul 2000, 02:56
NudgingSteel

Talking

As somebody mentioned above, they aren't expecting you to be an expert on ATC when you go for the tests and interviews. There's not a great deal you can do to prepare, except read the stuff they send you and just brush up on aircraft recognition. They are looking for generally calm and logical people (how the hell did I get in?) so stay cool and try to enjoy the experience!!!!!!

Best of luck to all those who are going through the selection tests. This job is sometimes frustrating, very occasionally terrifying, but mostly excellent fun!

Old 29th Jul 2000, 22:30
KT

Talking

I'd had a rather heavy session in the bar before driving to Gatwick for my medical - don't think the examing officer was too pleased when I had to repeat the blood test a few days later .... I seemed to be over the limit for the first ...oops !!

Old 30th Jul 2000, 00:00
NudgingSteel

Cool

KT
The urine test probably gave it away with the frothy head on it.

Old 30th Jul 2000, 13:43
fweeeeep

Unhappy

I have been controlling for 15 years now, and I am still confused as to how I made it through the "selection proccess".

The point is, that whilst they sometimes get it wrong, the mostly get it right.

I am not too familiar with your UK proccess, but often there is not much you can do to ensure your success, you either have it or you aint.

Old 9th Aug 2000, 19:26
Jas

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the comments everbody

Only two days to go now, and I've only got one question left...

In the written 'motivation & interest' test, is it literally a series of qustions on the booklet they sent, or is it more an essay-style paper? I was just wondering. Swotted up on the booklet so should be alright either way!!!

Once again thanks and I'll let you all know how I get on on Friday!!!

Cheers, Jas.

Old 9th Aug 2000, 23:54
Goldfish Watcher

Unhappy

The 'motivation and interest' section is a series of questions on the information sent to you.
For example, you should know the airports at which NATS provide air trafic services and the airspace types. i.e. uncontrolled, controlled, and what type of airspace is above FL245.
I was unfortunate enough not to be able to get a hold of any of the suggested reading material but still got through easy enough with the information from the brochures (including the 'technical interview')
If and when you get through the selection tests, re-post here and I'm sure you will get loads of advice for the tech interview.

Luck
GW

Old 11th Aug 2000, 22:56
Jas

Thumbs up

Hi guys

Well I just got back from my first selection test day, and it went OK (I guess!). Dog, it wasn't actually at the college but at a hotel in the centre of B'mouth.

I think I did OK on most of the tests, but as was said before, some of the questions were quite tricky - and the time limits were a shock But apart from that, I suppose I'm satisfied. The motivation test was good because I actually revised the booklet The controller we spoke to was called Angus (forget the surname) Worked at Edinburgh, but now an instructor at B'mouth, know him Dog? He was friendly and positive, and basically had a laugh with us

Now all that's left is to wait for the results... d'oh. I did my best, and I can't change it now can I? I'll let you guys know soon...

Thanks for all your help & advice,

Jas.

Old 14th Aug 2000, 20:43
Goldfish Watcher

Unhappy

Glad to hear that the tests seemed to go ok.

However, don't worry about the time limits. Any one who can actually finish those tests is either a genius or has gone through randomly selecting answers.
I didn't get more than half done on any of the sections and still got good scores.
So, Angus sounded positive did he? - you should search out the letter he and a couple of other CATC instructors sent to the press late last year on PPP. Didn't sound so positive then!

Old 14th Aug 2000, 21:16
Gonzo

Unhappy

Jas:

Aha, the Roundhouse hotel!

Brings back so many memories. Bummer to park there as well. No doubt you will progress, Jas, and the second stage of interviews, one with a personnel type (give me some evidence of how you have multi-tasked in your recent experience - I answered I could cook a mean roast sunday lunch! It seemed to work!<g> ), one with either one or two operational controllers on basic scenarios, and a set of computer tests, will be held at the college. I went through all of this back in the winter of 97/98, when it took nearly a year to go through the selection process.

Don't worry, I thought I failed the computer tests, and I got through!

Angus Kennedy, one of the better instructors! (creep creep creep<g> ) Always game for a laff.

Gonzo

Old 16th Aug 2000, 02:08
CrewBod

Unhappy

Can anyone tell me if there are any recent books available about ATC that I could read in preparation for the ATC interview. I have read the Ian Allan guide "Air Traffic Control" and wondered if there were any others.

Old 16th Aug 2000, 18:15
Gonzo

Unhappy

CrewBod,

Dave Graves's UK Air Traffic Control: A Layman's Guide.

I have the 3rd edition, and while being a bit out of date, it does give a a decent enough idea for the interview.

ISBN 1-84037-017-3
Pub by Airlife.

Gonzo

Old 17th Aug 2000, 21:50
granny smith

Red face

Ladies & Gents

Whilst I'm sure Angus Kennedy might be flattered by the comments in the above posts I do not think it is appropriate or safe to be naming people in this way. Many people in NATS read these fora - remember websites have ears! I am also very sure he would not be impressed by the reference to the letter mentioned by GW as I understand NATS tried to discipline him and the other 2 union reps at the College for daring to speak the truth. For all we know they may still have a hit-list. Incidentally that letter was signed by ALL CATC instructors (43 of them) not just the three victimised by NATS caring sharing management.

So please think before naming names.

Old 17th Aug 2000, 22:21
Bill Semple

Exclamation

Smithers, take down that fellows name.

Yes. You're in deep 'doh' now! Tangle with me and I'll crush you like a paper cup.

Old 17th Aug 2000, 23:09
Jas

Arrow

I would just like to add that I only mentioned this guy's name in reference to my test day, not intending to draw any comments on him. In future I'll not name names, as I'm sure this is safer...

Jas

Old 18th Aug 2000, 03:23
tower power

Angry

As Mr. Burns stated he will be taking down names and will visit you later this week!

Just be careful out there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.