Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Computer/Internet Issues & Troubleshooting
Reload this Page >

Adaware SE (personal version) configuration

Wikiposts
Search
Computer/Internet Issues & Troubleshooting Anyone with questions about the terribly complex world of computers or the internet should try here. NOT FOR REPORTING ISSUES WITH PPRuNe FORUMS! Please use the subforum "PPRuNe Problems or Queries."

Search this Thread

Old 29th Sep 2004, 13:29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

As you may, or may not know, Lavasoft have released a new version of their Adaware scum removal tool. In the security sticky above, now merged into the FAQ sticky, I explained how to set up Adaware (build 181) for optimum performance. Well, these are the new instructions, specifically for Adaware SE..

First you need to download it. Go to the Lavasoft download page here, and follow the link. Once installed, just follow these few directions.

First, in the main window, look in the bottom right corner and click on Check for updates now and download the latest reference files.

Next, we need to configure Ad-aware for a full scan.

Click on the Gear icon (second from the left) to access the preferences/settings window

1. In the General window make sure the following are selected:
· Automatically save log-file
· Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal
· Safe Mode (always request confirmation)

2. Click on the Scanning button on the left and select :
· Scan Within Archives
· Scan Active Processes
· Scan Registry
· Deep Scan Registry
· Scan my IE favorites for banned URL’s
· Scan my Hosts file

· Under Click here to select drives + folders, choose:
· All of your hard drives | Proceed

3. Click on the Advanced button on the left and select:
· Include additional process information
· Include additional file information
· Include environment information

4. Click the Tweak button and select:
· Under the Scanning Engine:
· Unload recognized processes & modules during scan
· Include additional Ad-aware settings in logfile
· Under the Cleaning Engine:
· Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot

5. Click on Proceed to save the settings.

6. Click Start and on the next screen choose:
· Use Custom Scanning Options

7. Click Next and Ad-aware will scan your hard drive(s) with the options you have selected.

When finished, mark everything for removal and get rid of it. (Right-click the window and choose Select All from the drop down menu and click Next).

Happy scum killing everyone..

Cheers

Liam
Old 30th Sep 2004, 09:40

Thanks E-Liam. Followed your instructions implicitly and then ran a scan with surprising results. Had scanned on the previous Adaware and done little or no surfing since, apart from Pprune and Company intranet, and yet Adaware Se found 73 new critical objects and 36 negligible objects!!

Cheers,
mcdhu
Old 2nd Oct 2004, 22:16

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
E-Liam

Thanks very much for your advice. I read your post and ran Adaware, the result was no problems. I then tweaked it as per your instructions and ran it again - 7 critical & 25 negligable problems surfaced.

Once again - many thanks

CC
Old 4th Dec 2004, 15:28

Howcanwebeexpectedtoflylikeeagles
whensurroundedbyturkeys

Thank-you E-Liam for this thread. Running Adaware as per your intructions has cleared a problem of very slow browsing which I have been tearing my hair out over for the last few days.

What is the best way of inoculating your computer against browser hijacks?
Old 4th Dec 2004, 17:35

Hi Hugh,

Download Spybot 1.3..
Download Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3 from here: if you haven't already got the program.

Click on Updates | Download Updates, and follow the prompts.

Next, close all Internet Explorer windows, and click Check for Problems. Once the scan is complete, have SpyBot remove all it finds marked in RED.
.. and use the Immunize feature. Click on the appropriate icon on the left and follow the prompts. It's easy enough to follow. This will give you ongoing protection against all hijackers currently listed in it's database. Each time you go for updates, it will also update the Immunize database at the same time.

Cheers

Liam
Old 4th Dec 2004, 19:11

Howcanwebeexpectedtoflylikeeagles
whensurroundedbyturkeys

Hello Liam,

I'm surprised you are recommending SpyBot. I have had a browser problem for the last week or so. It has been extremely slow and having proved my connection was ok (broadband) and run Norton anti-virus, Spybot and a couple other checkers, I couldn't sort the problem. It was Adaware that finally cured me following a prompt from another thread to look at your post on FAQ.

I would be interested to hear your comparison of Spybot and Adaware. I am considering buying Adaware Plus.

On a side issue, what is your view on Modem/Router firewalls as compared with software firewalls (Norton etc) ?

HM
Old 5th Dec 2004, 08:40

Hugh,

One of the things you may have found in previous posts is that it's generally advised to run BOTH AdAware and SpyBot S&D. I've been doing that for a year or so now and have definitely seen items missed by each of them. You can generally prove this to yourself by alternating which of them you run first during any housekeeping sessions.

It does, of course, beg the question as to what else is being missed by BOTH of the applications.

If problems, possibly attributable to malware, persist, that's when E-Liam and Richard recommend running HiJack This! which is a bit more into "Techie" territory and is generally advised to be done under the guidance of a suitably tame guru.

Hope that clarifies.

Regards

ST
Old 5th Dec 2004, 08:53

Very interesting article comparing 20 different anti-spyware products here
Old 5th Jul 2005, 13:50

Kaffir Lime Leaf Junkie

As E-Liam PM box is full, can somone advise on the setup of new version ADAWARE SE 1.06?

Thanks.
Old 5th Jul 2005, 16:59

IFTB,
Basically pretty much the same. Only 1 item has moved but if you follow E-Liams' instructions through you will find it as it requires altering from the default settings.

Let me know if you require further detail as I've just finished writing a 'nasty' elimination guide for clients. Those who persist in downloading spyware and the like and don't remove it have a copy thrust into their hands on my arrival !

I wonder what has happened to E-Liam ?

LL34
Old 5th Jul 2005, 22:54

E-Liam must be resting as they say, or working on another project, he's not about on castlecops either. Hope all is well with him
Old 12th Jul 2005, 08:34

Kaffir Lime Leaf Junkie

Lost-luggage, sorry for the late reply, I was travelling. Did the setup as before and you're right the layout seems to be the same. Thanks!

Yes, where's E-Liam?