Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > ATC Issues
Reload this Page >

What do you need to do to become an ATCO

Wikiposts
Search
ATC Issues A place where pilots may enter the 'lions den' that is Air Traffic Control in complete safety and find out the answers to all those obscure topics which you always wanted to know the answer to but were afraid to ask.

What do you need to do to become an ATCO

Search this Thread

Old 3rd Nov 2001, 02:02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool What do you need to do to become an ATCO

I wonder whether someone would be kind enough to explain the processes/training that need to be undertaken to become an ATCO.

Thanks in anticipation.
Old 4th Nov 2001, 00:02

Try This...

"A career in air traffic control? - Try the CD-ROM first
21st April 1999

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A new CD-ROM produced by National Air Traffic Services (NATS) brings the world of air traffic control to life on your personal computer screen: see how NATS safely handles over 1.8 million flights a year and find out if you are suited to join the world leaders.

The new CD-ROM, called Airspace, is aimed at students, teachers, careers advisers and parents. Through a state-of-the-art graphical interface, with video and audio clips, it offers a dynamic guide to the business and the qualities needed to become an air traffic controller or engineer.

Sections on the CD include:

24 hours in NATS: which takes the viewer through a whole day's operations with video clips to show controllers at work in some of the world's busiest air traffic control environments. It also shows how they are supported by engineering colleagues as well as the background work to ensure that NATS' customers receive the best possible service.

About NATS: explains in more detail how air traffic control works, including the terminology controllers use in passing instructions to pilots by radio.

It covers the way controllers progress a flight through UK airspace and how NATS takes advantage of the latest technology.

Career chooser: tells you the jobs now available in NATS and what the qualifications are. By asking the viewer a set of simple questions, it indicates to which task he or she most suited and explains how to apply.

The CD also provides details on the company's College of Air Traffic Control at Bournemouth and the College of Engineering Training at Highfield Park, Hampshire.

NATS recruitment manager, Andy Hutchinson, said:

"NATS is actively seeking new air traffic controllers and the CD will help us to explain the exciting world of air traffic control to many more potential candidates than we would previously have reached through more traditional methods."

He added: "Every year we recruit around 120 students to the College of Air Traffic Control. NATS is an expanding business and we need to continue to attract more young people to the profession."

For further information or copies of the CD, please contact the NATS Press Office on 020 7832 6330.

Notes to Editors: National Air Traffic Services provides the majority of the UK's air traffic control. It has air traffic control centres at West Drayton near Heathrow, Prestwick and Manchester and also provides services to the country's leading airports, including Heathrow, Gatwick, Manchester, Stansted, Birmingham, Cardiff, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Belfast and Farnborough.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------"

Probably run out of them or used them all as coasters by now. Might be worth a try though.

Best Regards,
LXGB.
Old 4th Nov 2001, 01:18

Manchesters Most Wanted PPRuNer

This may be of help - it was posted here a while ago and is an excellent outline.

Thanks to whoever posted it first time around, I'm sure you won't mind me posting it here again

Shame we can't have a FAQ for this forum as this questions does pop up an awful lot doesn't it? Any ideas how we could sort some sort of FAQ?

Anyhow.......

The selection process used by NATS has four stages.

Preselection

Ability Testing

Interactive Computer Tests

Interviews

PRESELECTION
The pre selection criteria are:

Be aged between 18-29 years of age.
Candidates over this age limit may be considered if they have extensive aviation experience either as a military controller civil or military assistant or pilot.

Hold a minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade C or above including Maths and English (or Scottish equivalent.

Have completed a period of post GCSE study, for example 2 GCE 'A' levels, BTEC.

Have the right to work in the UK

Satisfy the Authority's eyesight requirement. (Class 1 medical)

Those applicants who meet the pre-selection criteria are then invited to attend a test centre to take ability tests, Personality questionnaire, Learning Styles questionnaire, ATC knowledge test and have a group presentation from an operational ATCO.

ABILITY TESTING

The following tests are used.

Basic Checking
Speed and accuracy of checking two sets of printed information.

Numerical Computation
Arithmetic Computation using the four signs.

Spatial Reasoning
Spatial visualisation, mental picture.

Diagramming
Short term memory, convergent thinking, complex instruction, coded information.

Learning Styles
Measures the candidates motivation towards study and to fit Personality Questionnaire
in with NATS learning environment.

ATC Motivation Tests
Basic knowledge of ATC based on information provided to the candidates in NATS information packs, this also gives an indication of motivation. Candidates must achieve a minimum score of 60% to be invited to interview.

Personality Questionnaire
Various personality traits.

The results from the most significant tests are combined together with three of the Personality scales, to indicate the probability of success if selected for ATCO training. A cut off figure is then applied, those above the cut-off are invited to attend the final interviews, those below are eliminated from the selection process.

INTERACTIVE COMPUTER TESTS

The tests measure the following skills.

Ability to absorb information simultaneously from multiple sources.

Ability to absorb new information whilst making decisions.

Ability to project forward using current information.

Ability to make adjustments constantly to the whole picture.

The three computer based tests, are:-

Sort Task
The task requires candidates to sort objects (coloured shapes and numbers) into categories by given rules. The candidate must take account of occasional messages which alter the way objects are sorted and monitor whether the object to be sorted matches a given stimulus which changes from time to time.

Relative Direction Task
This is a two part test, in the first the candidate is presented with a dot, an arrow and words left or right. The tasks is to say whether the word correctly describes the position of the dot relative to the arrow. The second part is similar except sometimes the arrow is shown from behind (represented by the arrow in outline) but the task is still to describe the position of the dot for someone standing in front of the display.

Moving Objects Task
In this test a series of objects (represented by numbers) move across the screen at constant speed in different directions. The task is to identify which if any of the objects will collide and to remove the minimum numbers of objects to prevent all collisions. In the second part of the test multiple choice arithmetic questions appear at the bottom of the screen simultaneously with the main tasks to introduce an element of multi tasking.

INTERVIEWS

For those candidates who are selected for interview, a personality profile is generated by a computer "expert system" from the data collected at the testing stage and this is available at the interview. The interviews are conducted against criteria drawn from the original job analysis. There are two interviews, a technical interview conducted by an operational ATCO, and a Personnel interview. Emphasis is placed at the interview stage on the motivation for a career in ATC and previous examples of achievement orientation. The interviews follow a structured format and measure:

Motivation/Achievement Orientation

Stability

Reasoning Skills

Maturity

Team Skills

Aviation Focus

Communication Skills

Flexibility

Ability to Fit into a Regulated System

Integrity

Domestic Mobility

Problem Solving

Multi-tasking

Tenacity

Hope that helps

For further information, I'd suggest visiting NATS online at http://www.nats.co.uk or contacting the NATS Recruitment bod who I think is :

A M Hutchinson
Recruitment Services Manager
T1212
One Kemble Street
London
WC2B 4AP
TEL: 00 44 (0)207 832 5755
FAX: 00 44 (0)207 832 6633
E-Mail: [email protected]

Good luck
Old 4th Nov 2001, 01:48
10W

PPRuNe Bashaholic

I don't mind it being posted again I'm on commission

Here are another couple of threads with info .......

http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimat...c&f=6&t=001381
http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimat...c&f=6&t=001125
Old 4th Nov 2001, 03:22

Talking

Carb heat Cold,

If you would like an html document I have about the selection process, then email me at [email protected]
You'll need to have winzip coz I need to compress it for email.

GW
Old 5th Nov 2001, 02:21

Talking

Course if you wanted to approach the problem from a diferent direction you could pitch up at your local CIO, go to Cranditz for a few days tests, go back to Cranditz for 6 months or so worth of hoop jumping and then spend 5 months at the gem of Shropshire that is the CATCS. + Points? Pays alright depending on your expectations, social life, detachments are on the increase if travellings your bag, although on the down side certain locations do come with a health warning. Oh, and you may have to go to the Falkland Islands for 4 months. Other than that I'd do it.....Oh I did already, oops!
Old 5th Nov 2001, 03:22

Just a shame you can't come out after a few years and swap your blue certificate for a yellow licence

CM
Old 5th Nov 2001, 05:29

But it's not impossible. It just doesn't give you a useful qualification in the RAF. You will need to either buy your own civil licence courses (ca£30k for ADC,APP and APR) or persuade NATS that you are a good bet - the easier option. When NATS had a recrutiment ban (in the mid 80s, the last time the accountants decided there were too many ATCOs) the only way into ATC was via the RAF. Wouldn't recommend it now (too much ****ty work, too few people), but it was a blast then .. fast jet trips, occasional detachments to Cyprus, good morale, that kind of thing). On the pay side, RAF controllers get ca £20k-£32k (after about 10 years), civil controllers get less bull**** and ca£20k-£45k at airfields, £22k-£55k at Centres.
Old 5th Nov 2001, 15:13

Yo Chilli!
Found the zider stash yet??
Old 5th Nov 2001, 16:07

Thumbs up

Thanks all for the input. I shall go away and digest it and follow up the various leads given. I hope that at 34yrs I'm haven't missed yet another opportunity!!!!
Old 5th Nov 2001, 22:52

Cool

Spooney

He won't let me near it or Tower until I've done 100 hours in the black hole - talk about in at the deep end!

CM
Old 6th Nov 2001, 02:02

Manchesters Most Wanted PPRuNer

Ohhhhh you're 34 you say?

Taken from the NATS recruitment pages at http://www.nats.co.uk/recruitment/index.html

To apply..you need to be

"at least 18 and under 30 at the date of application. Applicants over 30 may be considered if they have extnesive relevant aviation expereince, either as a Mil ATCO, Civ or military assistant, or have mil or civil flying experience."

If you're 34 I hope you fit into one of those