Wikiposts
Search
ATC Issues A place where pilots may enter the 'lions den' that is Air Traffic Control in complete safety and find out the answers to all those obscure topics which you always wanted to know the answer to but were afraid to ask.

NATS Interviews

Search this Thread

Old 22nd Dec 2000, 16:06
MCH2000

Talking NATS Interviews

HELLO EVERYONE!

I have my Interviews in February for NATS.

("ANYONE...Help!!")

Can any nice people take time to tell me what I should know, what they ask, and about the computer-based tests!?

Regards,

MCH2k
(email to: [email protected])

[This message has been edited by MCH2000 (edited 22 December 2000).]

[This message has been edited by MCH2000 (edited 08 January 2001).]

Old 22nd Dec 2000, 20:06
Evil Jethro

You MUST visit a unit. I can't over emphasise that. Do not take no we're too busy as an answer. When you visit note runways, airlines, destinations, type of ATC operation (number of positions etc). Also be familiar with a radar display, what do the labels show, what a flight progress strip is and what info it normally contains. Be flexible in your answers, if you don't know an answer they will try and lead you towards it and look to see how receptive to instruction you are, but then they may also see if you are a "blind" follower, someone who just does what they're told irrespective of the dangers that could be inherent. Have an idea about general aircraft types and general performance, which will egt to 20,000 ft first a C152 or LJ35?? That sort of thing.

The computer tests are not too taxing...if they still do the "keep the numbers from colliding" one, don't worry if you can't do the maths questions at the bottom, they are just there to put you off...I'm pretty sure I didn't get one right (I also had several collisions!!) so don't worry if your not perfect....ATC is a very imperfect art ( I don't consider it a science)

the personnel interview is probably the worst bit and there's nothing you can do to prepare for it really. iTS STUFF LIKE, DO YOU CONSDER YOURSELF A MATURE PERSON?You obviously say YES, then the next question is always "Why?". just answer the questions, don't try and be funny, but be confident without being overly so, speak up etce etc...all common sense stuff.

Good luck...if you have aproblem with the visit let me know in this forum and we''ll sort something out

Old 22nd Dec 2000, 20:13
cleared2land 27left

Holy sh**, you have had collisions. Im not sitting next to you again

On the actual topic of the thread. Be flexible in the ATC interview, they will help you (or is it just one controller now?). If you dont know an answer admit it, but you must also be able to provide a little bullsh** if required. Well at least thats what worked for me!

Old 23rd Dec 2000, 14:36
Jas

Talking

27L - Yes it's just one controller now. Had my interviews back in October and starting at CATC in January

MCH - As the guys said above, make sure you visit a unit, even two if you can (so you can talk about the differences you saw). The only other thing I can add is that when I was struggling for an answer, the controller offered his help in the way that Jethro explained, i.e. tried to coax the answer out by suggesting similar alternatives to see if I took his word for it, or if I changed my mind on second thoughts (Which I did!). They're not out to get you (Well that's what he told me )

If you want any more advice etc just let me know...

Well Done & Good Luck, Jas.

Old 29th Dec 2000, 16:33
MCH2000

Thumbs up

Thank you all for this advice.....any more on the technical interview??

-M.

Old 30th Dec 2000, 19:17
squidge

Read the Ian Allan book or anything you get your hands on. At the end of the day if you know the stuff you should be doing the job already!!!!
The technical stuff is all in the same interview. Good luck!!!!!

Old 30th Dec 2000, 23:45
Gonzo

Hummmm,

EJ had a few collisions and CTL27L BS'd his way through the interviews.

GULP! And now I work with them!!!!!!!!

By 'eck and Fibetty Gibbetts!
Gonzo

Old 1st Jan 2001, 00:46
cleared2land 27left

Ah but gonz what did you do to get thru?

Old 1st Jan 2001, 02:38
Gonzo

Oooooooooops!

I had hoped that hadn't got out!

(jeeez, alliteration at its finest!<g> )

Anyway, let's just get back to the topic, eh?

Gonzo

Old 3rd Jan 2001, 01:38
TheFox

I just sat my interviews at the end of november, and past. The technical wasnt as technical as i thought it was going to be. There were a number of laminated sheets with different problems on them. For example there was a map with an aitport on it and i was asked what problems the surronding area would cause. In another i was asked about QFE and QNH. I was also asked how ILS, VORS and INS works, but i think i was asked about INS because of my degree. I was also asked how i would react in certain situations, ie i saw an older ATCO about to make a mistake etc. He also asked about me and what i liked. All in all the person who took the interview was a perfectly nice chap and i thought it was the easyest interview of the day, but the it might have been my background that it allowed it to be.

Best of luck

Old 3rd Jan 2001, 04:41
brown trousers

Lightbulb

The Fox
-------

"I was also asked how i would react in certain situations, ie i saw an older ATCO about to make a mistake etc"

Just out of curiosity, how did you answer that one?

Also, Have you been for your medical yet? If so what soes it involve?

Many thanks

Brown trousers.

Old 3rd Jan 2001, 14:44
5milesbaby

Basically if you see ANYONE about to make a serious mistake, you tell them. They'll be glad not to be filling out forms with the best outcome! As for the medical, I remember the first one includes ECG, hearing tests, eye tests, lung capacity, urine test, basically a thorough medical. You don't have to be athletic to pass (by God I'm far from that), but its always advisable not to go on the lash till 2am the night before! After the first one, you then have them every two years until you are 40, then every year, but most are scaled down, every third one (5-6 years) being the full works.

Old 4th Jan 2001, 02:20
TheFox

Thanks for answering the question for me smilesbaby, the hard question was what do i do if an atco keeps coming in smelling of drinks, the atco kept making this one more difficult.

Old 4th Jan 2001, 03:42
NudgingSteel

Talking

TheFox - never mind that, the hardest one is what to do if an ATCO keeps coming in smelling of drink, yet never gets his round in when you're all out on the lash.

[For the benefit of any journalists, ATC managers or nervous passengers reading, the above comment was a hugely funny joke, or "witticism". It may, however, reflect somewhat badly on my stunted sense of humour]

Old 4th Jan 2001, 05:39
BurndenCrashed

NudgingSteel - are you mad even thinking about getting a round in!?!
TheFox - always a tough one, and always driven into the ground. Speak to a mentor or someone else slightly more senior (make sure you are comfortable speaking to that person so as not to make such a big issue, but maybe not management until you are valid). Its always very hard as a student to say ANYTHING that could be contraversial in the slightest, let alone say something that could possibly finish a career.

Old 8th Jan 2001, 15:22
Dreamcast

Talking

I also had the "senior ATCO smells of alcohol" question. Was a very tough question to answer as the interviewer kept adding to the situation trying to deny my answer. Also added to the scenario another ATCO has a cold and they have no replacement- what should you suggest? Obviously you will be distracted having a controller coughing etc.
The Technical interviews (as i just found out) asses 3 different areas, i know one is confidence, another is decision making, and the other ????

anyone else have any ideas?

Old 8th Jan 2001, 16:15
5milesbaby

Probably teamwork

Old 8th Jan 2001, 17:30
Spoonbill

Talking

If you'd like to spend a half morning/afternoon at our unit,(regional airport - aerodrome and approach radar control with SSR etc),email me and I'll sort it.

Old 8th Jan 2001, 22:51
MCH2000

Question

(From Above):

"Also added to the scenario another ATCO has a cold and they have no replacement- what should you suggest?"

What 'would' you say to this?!
============================

ALSO...ARe the interviews pretty standard with these types of questions?

AND...Is the technical stuff VERY technical, or more general attitude to the job?

-Where is the best place to get info for the interviews?
-What is technical that I need to know?!

Thank you for the help....keep adding...

-mch2k-

Old 8th Jan 2001, 23:46
NKOTB

Hi, I have got my interview tomorrow morning so can give you some very up-to-date help and info tomorrow night!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.