Wikiposts
Search
ATC Issues A place where pilots may enter the 'lions den' that is Air Traffic Control in complete safety and find out the answers to all those obscure topics which you always wanted to know the answer to but were afraid to ask.

Interviews

Search this Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2000, 19:38
TheFox

Post Interviews

I am about to go for the second selection pahse for a Satco, and I am told that all the quastions asked in the interview are fixed, and i was wondering if anyone knows what they are,
thanks

Old 22nd Oct 2000, 23:16
Bright-Ling

Talking

First Question:

Do you know what a SATCO is???? Seeriously, is the Senior Air Traffic Controller at a Military airfield or in Civil speak the Manageer Air Traffic Services.

If you mean an ATCO (Air Traffic Control Officer) then fire away!!!

I have never been on the interview panel but those who are tell me that they expect you to know a bit about your prosepctive company (assuming NATS), PPP, places you could get posted, some basic ATC/Aviation stuff etc.

Did they not send you a pack up with things to learn???

Old 22nd Oct 2000, 23:42
Der Sim-Meister

I suspect he means a Student ATCO, correct terminology these days is 'SATC', Student Air Traffic Controller.
Still think of them as 'cadets' though!!

[This message has been edited by Der Sim-Meister (edited 22 October 2000).]

Old 23rd Oct 2000, 00:54
form49

Assuming you are being interviewed for the college:

The questions aren't fixed, but you can expect to be asked about Nav aids, locations of NATS units, and a series of scenarios ranging from an aircraft accident (what are your prioities i.e emergency services etc) to a series of radar returns on paper and determining which ones are likely to hit each other.
There will also be a personality questionnaire, the answers are generally Yes or No and you can't get any clarification from the interviewer, so just answer yes or no and don't elaborate!!
Then lastly theres the computer test, a series of numbers move across the screen and you have to eliminate the ones which will collide with each other whilst simultaneously solving mathematical equations.
This is the hardest test, but just stay calm and dont press numbers at random
Goood Luck

Old 26th Oct 2000, 00:05
Vlad the Impaler

Thumbs up

What can I add that my colleagues have omitted. Well not a lot actually but I was on the recieving end not so many months ago. The so called technical interview isn't so technical. They aren't looking for a great depth of knowledge at this stage but a more general appreciation of the job. Try ABC of Air Traffic Control by Graham Duke published by Ian Allen. I read it cover to cover the week before and it really helped. You have probably been told this but a visit to a unit is a MUST. Try to go and see a tower and an Area centre. I just went to LATCC personally. You'll get asked some simple mental arithmetic pretty much like the samples they send you. Most importantly think before you answer ! a wrong common sense answer will be better than waffle. The personnel interview is wierd, questions like "have you ever upset anybody !!" but answer as best you can and hope. As for the computer tests, everybody on my course was convinced they had failed them. The consensus of opinion is on the "flying Numbers" test, you'll know it when you see it, concentrate on the flying numbers and do the maths questions at the bottom if you can. The bottom line is bone up on what you can, be enthusiastic and confident. Good luck and see you at CATC soon.
Checker Roger.