Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

AAC Aptitude Tests

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

AAC Aptitude Tests

Search this Thread

Old 9th Aug 2004, 16:55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AAC Aptitude Tests

Hi,

My son is about to undergo AAC Aircrew Aptitude testing at RAF Cranwell. I did Biggin Hill 25 years ago and consequently feel that my advice might be outdated. Can anyone kindly offer some insight into the testing process at Cranwell please? I assume it is all PC based with joysticks, rudder bars, moving dots etc, however, a little more info would be good.
Old 12th Aug 2004, 22:57

Oh dear no replies yet?? hope its not too late in that case Idid mine a couple of years back and passed-the buggers still didn't train me to fly though!!

Anyhow as far as i'm aware the AAC test differ slightly from the RAF ones but essentially they relate to speed of thought and situational awareness (the PC tests that is, at Cranners) for Knife fork and spoon advice ask about RCB for the Army.

I remember the "is it left or right test?":
A seiries of things present themselves to you (men in this case) with different shapes in their left and right hands all pretty rapid and you had to select quickly if the ball or square was in his left or right hand.
Normally easy except the guy would be upside down/sideways/on his back etc.
Often meant the whole line of chaps doing the test would lean back on their chairs holding out their hands imagining being the bloke holding the square. so learn left from right as a viewer looking at a guy, whatever way up he is.

the other newer one i remember is the bar graph multitask.
Different bars all increasing on differnet screens at diffent rates you had to flick through a max of about 6 or 7 screens and hit "enter" on the maximum of each graph. if you missed a screen where the graph got to the end it would go back to zero, so nil points. the aim was to flick through all screens and catch all bar graphs just about to revert back to zero thus scoring maximum points. no idea how this would be practised, just be aware that the quiker the graph the more frequent you must check so screen one needs checking every 10 seconds but screen six only needs checking every 30 secs (for example).

There is the co-ordination test "follow the dot" using stick and rudder-do not make the mistake I made and start the test with the rudder pedals offset (i could only actuate right) got a retest but it was embarrasing so check your kit is centered before the tests start.

Finally similar to the "guy upside down left or right hand test", there were a series of planes (Really basic) but you were given a location ie "imagine you are at the south"
there were all these planes pointing up but away (so you answer climbing north) or down but towards you (so you select descending south) from memory I believe they got more complex so you had to look at a picture then select the correct answer which could be "climbing 360" so worth knowing degrees and relevant positions (depending on viewpoint).

That's it but i'm sure the location/speed of thought stuff hasn't changed, also sharpen up the STD stuff (speed time and distyance) namely the 6 (60 TO BE PRECISE) times table so you know how far you can go in one minute at 120kts 240 or 420 etc, this will help calculate minutes to run and assist in fuel burn calcs, never did 'em but suspect this kind of thing will be quite useful currently.

If any one else reading this can update or coach from more recent experience feel free...

hope this has given you some ideas

A10
Old 17th Aug 2004, 17:11

Hi,

Just thought I'd drop you a line to say that my son passed his aptitude tests today. Thanks for your help, it was greatly appreciated.

Regards

David Taylor