Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Advice: RAF Pilot

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Advice: RAF Pilot

Search this Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2004, 20:02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Advice: RAF Pilot

Just wondering if anyone can bring me up to speed with a few things re raf pilots:

I am often hearing on PPRuNe about extremely lengthy holds at Linton, people being offered ground branches on “fast jet Friday” etc.
I’m new to the game, but how common are these holds and are people chopped as often as it seems on this forum? I really do have a burning desire to become a pilot - I won’t let these things put me off the slightest - but I am interested all the same…is it just that the bad news simply comes here for advice, or is it quite an overriding issue about the training system being so full.

Related to this, I am seriously considering going DE but with talk of chops etc, would you advise going in after uni with a degree to fall back on? (I know this has been discussed in the past).
If it is true that the RAF is recruiting a lot fewer pilots and these numbers are only getting smaller, is it a good idea to snap up an offer of DE if I’m offered it?
I want FJ like nothing else, and would work infinitely hard to get there, but I’m interested in people’s opinions all the same…
Again, either way I won’t be put off, I just think it is common sense to help your situation by having a degree if possible/sensible/beneficial.

Thanks for your help in advance,
Old 24th Mar 2004, 08:58

Like yourself, and I'm sure many others I have always wanted to become a pilot in the RAF, and am applying DE at the moment, having completed EFT on a UAS last summer, but as recent threads have indicated there are no guarantees anywhere no matter who you are or what you have done, and all there really is to do is give it a go, despite how much of a cliche that sounds like and if not successful well if you've got a degree then you'll have pretty piece of A4 to fall back on and get a real job, but that doesn't seem like much fun does it?
Old 24th Mar 2004, 13:48

Start rant..............

You don't 'just go' DE, or join any of the services as a pilot or as an officer. You apply to attend a selection process where the selection officers will consider your potential to be a pilot and also as your potential to be an officer. Assuming you pass the interview, medical, tasks, leadership/leaderless exercise, then IOT (around 25% get back coursed and 5% never make it through), and then 6 months EFT, you will get to 'fast jet Friday'. Which ever route you then take, it will involve years of concentration on training. By the time you get front line you will be doing a sh!t load more than just flying an aeroplane. It is a complete lifestyle committment including a whole load of ups and downs.

End rant.........

If you really want it, and understand what your potential future role involves, then apply for it. DE or not......???

Uni is great and you would be older/more mature by the time you get to holiday camp crabwell and would have finished EFT as well. You'll have the fun before starting the mature and hard work of commissioned services life.

DE ....... it's better to start flying training as young as possible and you could be years ahead in training when those who went to uni joined. I imagine a lot hangs on wether the crabs get the Eurofighter, and how many they get. I'd rather be further down the training pipeline before significant job cuts come in and recruitment numbers fall off.

In any case, if you don't ask you won't get. I'd be tempted to apply as soon as possible and take heed of whatever advice or offers may turn up at OASC. Good luck ahead. F
Old 24th Mar 2004, 14:30

Sorry, a quick update:

I have attended OASC, and I've got a 6th-form scholarship (Pilot), and was just interested in people's opinions/advice regarding the pros and cons of Direct or Graduate Entry.

This is because I have a choice as to whether I apply for DE or Bursary and am interested in any sort of advice from people actually in the RAF at the moment, and what they believe to be the best course of action.

Thanks for people's opinions so far...
Old 24th Mar 2004, 22:57
SVK

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
FF

Had the same dilemma as you albeit a few years back. Basically (good basically), there are pro's and con's to each choice.

University gets you your degree - whilst living the life of a student. Most people will tell you that they had some of their best years at Uni.
You will simultaneously get your flying training on a UAS; which now happens whether or not you are DE or RAFVR (which you would become as a Bursar). Again there is great fun to be had.
As a DE you start IOT straight away before moving onto your training - which is now all based on the UAS system since they got rid of JEFTS last year.

Pro's of UNI:
You still have your own life to be daft, drunk, dye your hair and be generally immature - living in the same clothes, eating nothing but pot noodles and burger king etc
You walk away with a degree and finish EFT
You generally get promoted to Flt Lt faster because of your Uni Degree

Cons:
DEBT - sponsored or not you'll spend it all and then some at Uni.
I've also heard from a few of the guys coming through the system now that the DE guys tend to get first priority on the flying because they're being paid by the RAF to get through ASAP.

Pros of DE
You're comissioned and being paid to do EFT without the added pressure of having to complete a degree at the same time.

Cons:
While the UAS Studes are getting p*ssed up of an evening you still have your responsibilities as a Junior Officer e.g Orderly Officer, Station and Sqn Secondary duties.
Generally a UAS EFT Student will be promoted to Flt Lt 3yrs from starting IOT, however a DE guy will be looking at Plt Off for a year and then about another 4yrs as a Fg Off (I admit I'm not too certain of that figure but it is around that ball park). Please remember though that a DE guy will not be carrying any Uni debt and it generally works out about even.

At the moment, as you know the Airforce is having a bit of a mare within the flying training system.
I reckon you could either got to uni, work your hardest and get a good EFT score and hope that the system calms down over the three years it will take you to get your degree. At least by that time the RAF will have some measure of your abilities as a pilot.
You could also go DE but you risk going through IOT and EFT through this turbulent time and I honestly dont think the RAF even knows what the outcome is going to be yet.
At the end of it all, as a UAS Bursar, you start Initial Officer Training with a degree and something to fall back on should it all go to rat. As a DE you haven't.

For your info I decided on the Bursary simply because I wasn't ready to grow up yet and I had a whale of a time. Word of warning though - I ended up failing my first year at Uni. Not only did that delay my entry to the RAF a year but it also proved to be the most expensive financial mistake I ever made.

However I'm here now doing the job that i always wanted to do. Whichever method you decide stick to it with determination and remember - its the getting in that's the hard bit, not how you go about getting in.

Old 25th Mar 2004, 15:18

Thanks for your advice SVK, I'm really not sure as to what I'll apply for yet, and it's great to hear people's advice.

I am interested though, in people's experiences of flying training in a UAS, and how they found it.
Is doing a degree at the same time as trying to get FJ a good challenge, or so difficult that one had to 'suffer'?

Cheers.

Last edited by fastflyer; 25th Mar 2004 at 16:36.
Old 25th Mar 2004, 17:11

The notion that graduates get to Flt Lt quicker has to be taken in context. Compare a school-leaver joining at 18 with one of the same age, who goes straight to university for a 3 year degree course. They will make Flt Lt at the same time but the DE will already be on the front line with the graduate still in trg. It is perfectly understandable that the DE Fg Offs on Sqns feel aggrieved that they are paid less than the graduates who came out of the same OCU course. However, their real graduate peers are blokes of the same age, who are still miles behind in the trg system. The DE has the last laugh when a fellow school-leaver graduate finally gets to the Sqn on which he is now the QWI.

As for advice - Go to University if there are still things you want to achieve/prove in the academic arena. You will end up with a broader education that way. Don't go if it's purely for the pissups, you will end up in debt. Anyway there are plenty of parties on the Sqn (in Las Vegas rather than the Students Union).

Ultimately, if Fast Jet flying is your burning ambition, do it now. Don't worry about having a degree "to fall back on". If you fail and aren't offered (or don't want) another job you can always leave and then go to University. You'll still be young enough to have fun and will probably do better as you'll appreciate (and need) the degree itself, rather than just going on the piss. You could even try the Air Force again after you graduate (it's been done). If this idea grabs you, don't fall into the trap of getting a huge car loan and then not being able to afford to turn down other trades if chopped.

Whatever you do, don't be tempted by taking a gap year or doing a 4 year degree. They are simply wasting years that you could have been flying. Your options for the RAF start to evaporate after the age of 22, although the other services offer helo flying for those a bit older.

In summary;

A bloke came up to me the other day and said - "Can you give me a lift?"

So I said - "Sure; you look great; the world's your oyster; go for it!"

With thanks to Tommy C
Old 28th Mar 2004, 05:55
SVK

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
BP

You are completely correct. You have to look at it in context. I was just giving my personal experiences that's all. Again, I have tried to relate experiences that would lean for and against both methods of joining.

FF

Take every bit of advice you can get. Ultimately it will be up to you to sift the advice that you receive. As I said, I'm not the best source of the latest info but I'm sure with each reply to your querey you'll be able to add a piece to your own jigsaw puzzle.

Afterall, the final decision is yours and as long as you can justify your reasoning sensibly to the RAF then that's all that counts.

Anyway, at the mo it looks like i'm spending the rest of the rest in DOVER, Delaware so ******. SVK
Old 28th Mar 2004, 17:14
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As for HOLDS, it occurs to me that new aircraft cause holds.

When I joined the various forces were well established and the different sqns were building up. The training system however had had to start the recruitment and training 2 years earlier.

EFA is to come in to servive in 2000. The current jets will retire from 2001-2 as the EFA force builds up but until this happens the system needs more pilots for EFA. They get them from the front line. The front line back fills from the training system. The training system started in 1997 in order to provide the numbers of into service pilots for the back fill.

In 2003 the number of Jags and GR1s going out of service is rising rapidly and there are plenty of spare P & N. The navs are either wasted or transfered to the F3 and the pilots move on to EFA. The training system thus started to reduce the nav intake in 2000 and the pilot intake a year later.

By 2004 the system was reaching equilibrium, the EFA in to service was matched nicely by the Jag and Tornado out of service so the training system was scalled back in 2002 to ensure that it could replace natural wastage.

There was a sudden influx of pink elephants and the training system could not cope.
Old 28th Mar 2004, 17:27

All advice is completely subjective, and with that caveat here goes :

I applied for a Cadetship at 18, didn't get it and was given a Flying Scholarship as consolation.

Decided to go to uni - mainly to have a laugh, broaden my horizons and give myself more options should my dream to fly not be realised.

Uni will certainly expand your horizons, and the UAS will allow you to fly at the same time - with little or no responsibility (other than to complete EFT of course).

I applied for a Bursary in my second year and was accepted for GD(P), by which stage I had done some flying, was a broader individual and a little more worldly wise (probably the reason they accepted me this time).

I was one of the first lot to be streamed from UAS but I managed a FJ reccomend and a 2:1 degree.....and I know many others who managed the same...so don't assume its an impossible task.....as an aside I am now a ME Pilot, which goes to prove you never know where you will end up, so in my experience, planning is futile....(Incidentally, I am having a ball - there are no bad flying jobs in the military)...

There are clear benefits to DE (quicker to the front line, lower debts etc), but I wouldn't have traded my uni experience for anything - so don't feel obliged to grab a DE slot if you really want the uni experience - it will be much harder to go to uni later should your DE route fail you. Once you have been earning a steady wage, becoming a student with debt is a daunting prospect....

Anyway, nuff said - btw I joined UAS in 1994, so I guess that makes me an old ****** already!

Best of luck in whatever awaits!!

Amen Brain -

First tour - got the loan, bought the TVR -
Second tour - still recovering....

(especially hacked off after spending all my time in the Middle East not being able to drive the bloody thing!)

Still - great fun while it lasted
Old 28th Mar 2004, 19:10

FF,

As a final year bursar on a UAS i empathise greatly with your situation. If you WANT to go to uni, then go. If you're not sure but are sure about being a pilot (and hopefully FJ) then apply for direct entry.

The FJ intake is shafted at present but, if you're good enough - you'll get it. The benefit of being on a UAS is that you'll get an indication of how good you are before you've had the hassle of going through Cranhell. If you fly like a chimp, you can carry on colouring in at uni, if you happen to be **** hot then you can always bin uni and apply DE.

I went to uni in a very similar position to yourself and joined a UAS. Had a great time but after 2.5 years i've had enough and my degree has suffered due to the pressures of completing EFT competitively and getting pissed with the UAS.

My grievance is that if i'd gone DE, FJ would have been in the bag and hopefully still is, but my decision to "have a degree to fall back on" could have seriously altered my career path i.e. no FJ for me!

As one of the other guys said, you can't predict anything or hang on what anyone says. I'd get in there ASAP and work my tits off.

Also, NB that IF you get a pilot slot you'll have really long "holds" and you could get involved in the in service degree program.
Old 29th Mar 2004, 07:44

As a DE pilot who has recently passed eft, I would not have changed things for the world. There is great satisfaction at the age of 19 to get up each morning and go flying with little else to worry or think about.

If you are worried about missing out on the "good life" at university, rest assured that as a DE you can still have an awesome time and without getting into debt. As I'm sure you are aware EFT is now conducted at the various UASs and I made many friends with the students and got fully involved with some of there activities eg. diving in Egypt, go-karting, partying etc...

If it's a degree you want, DE's are generally enrolled on an in-service degree scheme with the OU which can be done at your own leisure and with financial help.

There are cons, however. It can be a pressurising time. Current climate suggests that FJ places are few and far between although all roles are pretty damn good. The biggest con at the moment is being stuck in an office for at least the next three months and even then I'm not sure where I will be going such is the state of holding and the flying trg system. Saying that could be stuck in a lecture theatre!

The approach I took when applying to join was to go all out for DE but at the same time I had applied and received a place at university which I subsequently turned down when I gained confirmation of my place at Cranwell.

All in all it's down to what you want to do with your life. There is plenty of good advice and anecdotes here for you to make a well balanced decision

Good luck!
Old 29th Mar 2004, 11:07

Im in the same sorta place, deciding if to go to uni or if to go DE. I heard from a friend of mine who is a serving officer that the RAF are more keen for people to go straight in at 18 and then pay from them to do a degree via Open University than they are to receive graduates at 24 who already have degrees.

Can anyone in the mob confirm or deny this?
Old 29th Mar 2004, 14:35

Gentleman Aviator

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Information on the OU/RAF linkage is here. Scroll down and click on Royal Air Force. It's a very good deal, particularly as Auntie Betty will pay some/quite a lot of the fees. Shame they didn't have it it my day
Old 29th Mar 2004, 20:29

All well and good, but fellow mobsters pray tell...

Have you ever heard of anybody the healthy sode of 30 having chance to do the in-service degree? 'Befuddled' if I can think of anyone.

Edited after slap on the wrist for profanity!
Old 29th Mar 2004, 21:55

Few guys trying it up here but only with half a heart.

Hows the island these days?
Old 30th Mar 2004, 04:20

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
joesimon - it is cheaper to pay 18 year olds than 24 year olds with degrees due to the promotion rate differences.... So guess which the bean counters prefer?

Never heard of anyone having the time to do an 'in service degree' whilst having to cope with overstretch and Trust-me-Tone's bring-a-bottle wars.......

There are no University Cadetships any more - the deal is a weak shadow of its former self. If you do go to University, join the OTC and only knock on the RAF's door a week or so before your finals. Then you can't be assessed on how well you fly the Tupperware trainer at weekends whilst trying to get a half decent degree and keeping a part-time job to be able to survive..... So after IOT you'll do EFT with far better continuity, giving you a better chance of doing well enough to be streamed FJ.
Old 30th Mar 2004, 14:11

Sounds good advice.. plus don't can't imagine doing an in-service degree being a tenth as much fun as doing the real deal.

DH check your private messages.
Old 4th Apr 2004, 14:22

Thanks for all your advice so far.

Even though the uni cadetship 'isn't what it used to be', is it still available; or are you refering to the uni bursary - are they seperate awards??

If so, can anyone tell me how they differ? Does one/both garuntee entry after uni as a pilot?

I have heard from some, that a lot of people going to a UAS with 6th form scholarships and/or bursarys (for pilot) end up getting pushed into a ground branch e.g. engineering. Can anyone shed any light on the situation please, or any other information about UAS's?

Thanks,

FF.