Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Other Aircrew Forums > Flight Testing
Reload this Page >

Don Wylie of Texas Air Aces

Flight Testing A forum for test pilots, flight test engineers, observers, telemetry and instrumentation engineers and anybody else involved in the demanding and complex business of testing aeroplanes, helicopters and equipment.

Old 26th Nov 2003, 12:30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don Wylie of Texas Air Aces was killed Nov. 19 when the wing separated from his trainer aircraft in flight (he was going through an advanced maneuver demonstration for a potential client at the time). I'd flown with him for some upset recovery training a few years ago. The airplane was a T-34 piston. The wing separated at 7,000 ft., and Wylie and his client apparently attempted to bail out. One body reportedly was found wrapped in a fouled chute. There is an AD out restricting manueuvering loads (fatique cracking). This airplane was due to have its wing spar replaced in the next 60 days (terminating action per the AD, I think). NTSB is all over the case.

I am told that the T34 Mentor had a bit of a history of mainplane failure both in service and as a warbird - as well as in its civilian guise.

Can anybody provide (or point me towards) some data?

[email protected] will get me.
Old 26th Nov 2003, 23:21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Shadow

There's a pretty informed line in this article on Avweb

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182086-1.html

if you email John Deakin he might have some later info for you all his articles are well worth reading.

Wunper
Old 29th Nov 2003, 02:51

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
A sad day,

I met Don for the first time and sat with him throughout last years Honeywell Safety Conference. He gave an excellent paper on upset maneuver recovery based on his flight training school.

I quote from the audio track from an on board video which showed his airmanship and flight handling skills in dealing with an engine failure and forced landing. At touch down the comment was:
"(callsign) to ground. People, here I am."