Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Jetstar leaves Launceston in the dark?

Wikiposts
Search
Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Search this Thread

Old 17th Mar 2008, 05:56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Report from crikey.com.au

Ben Sandilands writes:

Jetstar is under the Australian Transport Safety Bureau spotlight for allegedly taking off from Launceston Airport for Sydney last Wednesday night in total darkness. The jet which could have carried up to 180 passengers on board was reported as taking off without runway lights. It is illegal and seriously unsafe for aircraft to take off in darkness.
Runway lights define the sides, start and finish of the strip as well as the taxiway exits, providing pilots with critical information in the event of an aborted takeoff or an urgent return to an airport because of an engine failure, fire on board or other emergency. It is a pilot's responsibility to ensure the lighting is on.
Two Qantas pilots who were alleged to have taken off from Launceston without activating the runway lights on 23 October 2001 in a 737 with 77 passengers on board were committed for trial on 4 November 2005 on charges brought under the Civil Aviation Act.
These charges, that they operated an aircraft recklessly and in a manner endangering life, carry a penalty of up to five years jail if proven.
However both pilots, one of whom has since retired, recently applied for a stay of proceedings in the drawn out case, which has cost Qantas large sums to defend, and which is the first ever criminal prosecution of a major Australian airline for breaches of the air safety regulations. A decision on that application is not expected until late next month. Now it seems the CDPP which is prosecuting that case may have to decide on similar action against Jetstar, depending on any recommendation from CASA the air safety regulator, and the technical investigation announced this morning by the ATSB.
A spokesman for Jetstar says "We have a proactive safety culture ... (and) ... we are providing information to the ATSB. We had an experienced technical crew on board that flight. We do not intend to run a commentary on this until the matter is investigated."
Old 17th Mar 2008, 06:07
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

I find it hard to believe that any crew would take off at night without the runway lights on.

So the question is 'who' reported it? What is their expertise? Are they credible?

I wonder if they are the same 'who' that reported the alleged QF incident- which we'll never know as the QF report was a CAIR. Do they have an axe to grind about aircraft operations in the evening at Launy.

The final issue of course is that perhaps both of these aircraft did in fact take off without the runway lights. Given that two professional crews have managed to make an error in this way then perhaps there is something about Launy that makes this possible.
Old 17th Mar 2008, 06:19

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts
Pretty basic stuff, PPL NVFR turn runway lights on prior to taxi or arrival and if you see the light flashing on the windsock reactivate prior to landing or departure.

Bet you if you were a GA driver and got sprung taking of without runway lights, CASA would screw you for everything and a bit more.
Old 17th Mar 2008, 07:24

HERE WE GO AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
Old 17th Mar 2008, 07:25

Schedule before safety or was it supposed to be the other way around....
Old 17th Mar 2008, 07:30

It was allegedly captured by the security camera, other than that I have no other information. As Keg mentioned though, if it has happened twice at Launy and nowhere else that uses PAL ,then it suggests that there might be a problem with the Launy setup. As there is an agent why can't the lights be left on?
Old 17th Mar 2008, 08:36

Bottums Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on the actual circumstances, it's not too difficult a situation to occur.

I can recall at least one occasion, when acting as F/O re-activating the PAL on line up, as the Capt who was PF hadn't noticed the flashing PWI, which wasn't flashing as we entered to back track.

I can also recall at least one occasion, where a colleague had the RWY lights extinguish during the takeoff roll. The decision at the time was continuing was a better option than rejecting.

Either of the above scenarios, not noticing the flashing PWI or, having them go out during the takeoff roll, is a far cry from a conscious decision to takeoff without the required lighting. A decision I doubt any RPT jet operator would make.
Old 17th Mar 2008, 08:50

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts
One would have thought that the airport safety officer might have alerted the crew?

Might pay for ASA to keep the tower open longer, that's if they can staff it!

Do many aircraft still do night freight into YMLT, do they have problem's with the lights?
Old 17th Mar 2008, 10:07

The lighting time cycle is a bloody trap - especially if there are distractions when the IWI flashes and the auto broadcast occurs. SOOOOO, it's a good idea to rekey the lights just before taxy.

But no idea if that was in fact the problem the other night.
Old 17th Mar 2008, 10:21

I might be on the wrong track but the flashing windsock wasn't working at COOMA last year until the electricians fixed it.

A couple of take-offs were "interupted" when the lights suddenly went out.
Old 17th Mar 2008, 10:27

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Does anyone know why Qantas, as stated by Mr Sandilands, has spent large sums defending this?
Old 17th Mar 2008, 10:29

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I wonder if they are the same 'who' that reported the alleged QF incident- which we'll never know as the QF report was a CAIR. Do they have an axe to grind about aircraft operations in the evening at Launy.

Keg,

That's a fair question. And maybe someone did put in a CAIR. I met a local pilot who claims to have seen the event and claims to have reported it. He didn't sound to me like he had an axe to grind. Perhaps he just thought he had a duty to report what he thinks he saw.

Does Launie have a problem with the lights? I suppose someone will check them out. Launceston had a pretty dodgy mixed airspace system without radar for a while there when the new airspace system (MK iv ??) started. Someone woke up to the safety implications, changed the airspace and got a radar happening to boot. Problem solved. I guess they saw the light

Pithblot
Old 17th Mar 2008, 11:00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where is Scurvy when ya need him?

probably enough light that it was not dark yet the camera's made it look dark. I would believe that should be checked out first. Any novice photographer would know that!

J
Old 17th Mar 2008, 11:03

I grew up in a world where jet RPT=Controlled airspace. Even as I recall F27 freighters to Launie had the tower manned. So I have a view on all of that.

And more....what would you do if a Guardian Angel appeared next to those of us with say 10,000 hrs and offered an envelope containing details of all the times we a)took off without checking the windsock, b) took off without doing the Before T/O checklist, c) took off without properly checking the departure and engine out tracks for weather,d)took off without doing an engine run in icing conditions e) took off without actually physically checking each of the required RW lights, f) took off without a T/O clearance etc etc..........who of us would open the envelope?

Keg or someone like him was right. If this happened, lets find out why and not shoot the crew.
Old 17th Mar 2008, 11:11

Received 167 Likes on 85 Posts
Rather than prosecute the alleged culprits, shouldn't we be asking WHY?, as alluded to by a couple of previous posters!

Remember the Comair CRJ accident at Lexington, Kentucky. A CRJ departed off an unlit runway. As it turned out, the wrong runway, and of inadequate length.

No pilot would do this. But it happened!

WHY ?
Old 17th Mar 2008, 11:13

Pithblot,

The radar at Lt has certainly made the airspace safer, but don't think for a second that it's installation there was anything more than a political. If the E over D debacle hadn't happened, neither would the radar.
Old 17th Mar 2008, 11:30

Where I am operating from there is a switch that changes the PAL system from the 30 minute cycle to permanently on. If I have a night flight or know that I will be returning after dark I turn it to the permanent setting. That way, with the standby power generator, I don't have any alternate worries due to lighting.

I would have thought that Launie, and for that matter any port where RPT is operating after tower hours, would have had something similar and that the agent could be shown how to use the thing.

If that transgresses some security thingy then why not do what Alice Springs does and leave em on all night.
Old 17th Mar 2008, 13:31

Received 138 Likes on 63 Posts
I know of two aerodromes with Jet RPT at night where the safety guys just goes over and turns the key on the lights so they are on mains power. Eliminates any lighting/PAL problem. Then before he leaves he just turns the key for it back to PAL. Pretty simple.
Old 18th Mar 2008, 04:48

Is it true that CASA is a subsiduary of Qantas?
Old 18th Mar 2008, 09:51
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
fish

The papers may have gotten it wrong but this report is interesting. My added emphasis.

Air safety authorities are investigating reports that a Jetstar plane took off from Launceston Airport, in northern Tasmania, one night last week without runway lights.

The A-320 Airbus was on a scheduled flight to Sydney. It is not known how many passengers were on board.The Australian Transport Safety Bureau says runway lights are a normal part of operations and it would be a safety issue if they were not used.The Bureau's Julian Walsh says an investigation is underway.

"Jetstar advised the Bureau that an aircraft had taken off from Launceston during hours of darkness and it appears that the runway lights were not on when the aircraft took off," he said.

A spokesman for Jetstar, Simon Westaway, says the airline reported the matter within 24 hours of it occurring. He says Jetstar will not comment further while an investigation is happening. "I can confirm that as the result of an aviation safety investigation report publicised today by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, Jetstar has previously and will continue to work with regulators around this matter."
This would indicate to me that the lights were off for part or all of the take off and an incident report filed- and that the crew also became aware of it at some stage. That brings us back to the 'why' that I implied earlier- and others have asked about much more bluntly. Why did this occur? What is it about Launy that causes this to happen...possibly for the second time!

Stay vigilant folks. Aviation is always finding new ways to bring us undone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.