Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

Nick Lappos headhunted by Bell

Wikiposts
Search
Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Search this Thread

Old 14th Mar 2008, 18:21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps, if the rumors are true, Nick can get Bell going again......

From the Ft. Worth Star Telegram (the Startlegram)

Rumors: Bell to hire Sikorsky ex, V-22 critic

The rumor and gossip mill at Bell Helicopter has been running at warp speed the last few days over reports the company may hire a former top official of rival Sikorsky Aircraft Co. to take over as senior vice president of engineering and head of Bell's Xworkx research and development lab.

The suggestion that Bell may hire Nick Lappos, now an executive with Gulftream Aerospace but formerly an engineer, test pilot and head of the effort to sell Sikorsky's S-92 to the U.S. armed forces, has stirred up a tempest among old line Bell loyalists.

Some Bell employees and former employees have reportedly written letters to senior management at the company urging reconsideration if Lappos is indeed being considered for a Bell post.

Bell and Sikorsky have long been competitors and rivals, at times less than friendly. Lappos, who is well respected by many in the helicopter world, has earned the enmity of many Bell loyalists because of his past criticisms of the V-22 Osprey and Bell's other tilt-rotor aircraft development efforts including the BA609 civil tilt-rotor.

Lappos has not returned telephone calls and e-mails from the Star-Telegram. Bell officials have declined to comment on "any personnel matters."

Bell has hired several other former Sikorsky officials in recent years including Mike Blake, now executive vice president of the Fort Worth company. One industry official said Lappos is an excellent engineer and works well with other people and would have little problem renouncing his past criticisms of the V-22 to go to work for Bell.

- Bob Cox
Old 14th Mar 2008, 18:38

Thumbs up

Well that sounds to me like a fantastic idea IMHO.

After all noone I would have thought would want to see Bell flounder.

Keep us posted Rich.
Old 14th Mar 2008, 19:14

Received 511 Likes on 213 Posts
Now what the heck....."renounce his criticisms of the Osprey"?

Sheeee...it Doc! Rich sure found a good way to start a rumour.

Considering Bell's recent track record vis a vis Eurocopter.....they sure need to weed out the Bell dead wood and get some fresh air into the experimental design shop.

As Nick probably couldn't fit into a Jet Ranger anymore....it might forbode the end of the 206 series finally!

If this were true....I would run out and buy some Bell Stock as it is bound to improve from what it is currently.
Old 14th Mar 2008, 23:05

One commentator had this to say about the Ft. Worth Star Telegram story:
Technological skepticism -- when well founded -- should not be a disqualifier.
Frankly, the last thing companies need in their R&D labs are mindless cheerleaders.
Intelligent thinking IMHO.

If I was a helicopter manufacturer looking to headhunt someone to help my ailing company, Nick Lappos would be the name at the top of my list.

SASless
If this were true....I would run out and buy some Bell Stock .....
Run out and buy some Bell Stock.

FL
Old 14th Mar 2008, 23:14

After Nick was seduced by the dark side (dare I say it aloud: planks!) I believed it was a loss for helicopters. One can only hope he returns to the light.
Old 14th Mar 2008, 23:24

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmmmm, I wonder how long this has been in the pipeline? Was Gulfstream just a convenient 'staging post' all along...?

(A similar tactic of using a neutral 3rd party has been used in plenty of player transfers between rival football/soccer teams.)

But congrats to Nick and Bell. Interesting times ahead!
Old 14th Mar 2008, 23:43

Was Gulfstream just a convenient 'staging post' all along...?
No. Definitely not.
Gulfstream made a determined effort to headhunt Nick from Sikorsky, eventually succeeding by making him an offer no sane person could have refused and, as is the nature of the man, he put his all into his role at Gulfstream.

It's not surprising Nick has been headhunted again, by another manufacturer seeing the value of having someone of his calibre on board.

I wish Nick well, not only on a personal level because we've been good friends for some years but because, as Brilliant Stuff says, no-one would want to see Bell flounder. If anyone can reverse the trend of recent years, Nick is the man to do it.

FL
Old 15th Mar 2008, 01:06

Received 511 Likes on 213 Posts
As this comes as no surprise to me.....I am only too happy to finally offer my congratulations to Nick. I am sure he will continue his contributions to the advancement of techology in the helicopter world in his new employment.

Having watched him talking about helicopters and future concepts, I know he is dedicated to the improvement of the industry. It is an amazing sight to watch him become the Professor, his eyes light up, and you can see how into his work he is.

The amazing thing is he can translate engineering prose into plain language easily understood by we mentally challenged folk.

For an Army Warrant Officer Cobra pilot who couldn't remember how to tie his combat boots....he has come a very long way!

Good on ya, Nick!
Old 15th Mar 2008, 01:22

Unfortunately, Nick is likely to be as hamstrung as those who preceeded him. Bell mgt. will expect nothing less than miracles from Nick, and then they'll tie your hands behind your back. And even when you give them miracles, they will not be happy with the style of bow you wrapped them with. But someone's got to stick a brick in the revolving door that has been on the office of every VP and above at Bell fopr the last 12 or so years. The list of two-year-wonders goes on.... each one thinking the bus needs to be driven in a different direction Nick may straighten that out - but fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Last edited by Avnx EO; 16th Mar 2008 at 16:36.
Old 15th Mar 2008, 03:06

Thanks to all for the kind words, and special thanks to the pprune moderators, who allowed me to make the transition without fear as one heartless and witless ppruner tried to saw off the limb I was on before the next limb was within reach!

Yes, Gulfstream is a great place to work, and I honestly planned to work there for years, until retirement, but the opportunity that Bell offered was just too grand to pass up. The advancement is wonderful, but so is the promise of working with some of the industry's finest on projects that make my head spin. Research and Development was my dream on the first resume that I prepared back when I graduated from Georgia Tech (Go Jackets!) back in 1973, and is now an essential part of my career.

Yes, Avnx EO, the challenge will be to make it work within the confines of today's corporate America, but I do think the team Dick M has built is a powerhouse - I am willing to bet my career on it! I am also betting on a group of very dedicated engineers and pilots who only ask for someone to get them the resources, constancy and support to make things happen. I believe loyalty goes up and down, and that a leader owes his folks to work as hard as possible to get them what they need to make new things happen. I know that some doubt my desire to develop tilt rotors. To them I say that we must please our customers, who demand more speed than we now deliver. I know that, and I stand ready to learn what those grizzly professionals want to teach me about flying at 300 knots.

I also think that research lies in smaller things, systems and technologies that do not stun, and don't make the Sunday newspaper. Sometimes we feel compelled to develop the better blade, and better transmission, and we forget that a failed microswitch, a missed approach or blown oil seal can spell financial disaster for our customers. Our technological progress has big leaps and small victories, and I would like put together a team that can hit both chip shots and long drives.
Old 15th Mar 2008, 05:55

The very fact that Bell initiated the offer confirms that they recognise the wealth of expertise, professionalism and respect that Nick Lappos has and will bring to Bell.

Congratulations to Bell, and to Nick Lappos.
Old 15th Mar 2008, 06:19

This should be an exciting day for all Bell aficionados. Nick's knowledge and experience in developing Sikorsky's proven product lines will be a shot in the arm for Bell, whose development of new products has seemed somewhat stagnant in recent years.

Congratulations Nick!
Old 15th Mar 2008, 06:21

Nick.

Congratulations on your move.

It must be satisfying to return to the industry that you obviously love and know so well. No doubt it will also be interesting and stimulating to tackle relatively similar objectives and projects from a different perspective.

Dave
Old 15th Mar 2008, 12:21
Passion Flying Hobby Science Sponsor Work

Congratulations to Nick

Wish you all the best.

I will be quite interested in seeing how the product range of Bell evolves in the next years with you on board.

delta3
Old 15th Mar 2008, 12:48

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know that Nick will have a positive impact on Bell and I wish him all the very best of luck.
Is there some way we could start a list of things that Nick might want to tackle at Bell?
For starters Nick - how about getting WAAS approaches to a 50' hover like you and I flew nearly 10 years ago? Bell 429 would be an ideal machine for it.
Old 15th Mar 2008, 14:25

Congratulations and all the best.
Old 15th Mar 2008, 14:45

the only thing that would surprise me more right now would be Heli C admitting to being a Sikorsky fan, Congrats Nick
Old 15th Mar 2008, 14:47

Congratulations Nick.

Met you at the Safety conference at HeliExpo. Maybe some of the technology that is presently in place at Gulfstream may find its way into the helicopters being offered tomorrow. So we can reduce a large number of the unnecessary accidents that happen in this portion of the industry.
Old 15th Mar 2008, 15:50

Congratulations Nick,
Looks like your website about the V-22 got some attention.

Hope to see more tech talk here on pprune.

good luck
slowrotor
Old 15th Mar 2008, 17:54

Thumbs up The Beginning of Something Profound

Congratulations
Nick many of us are bolstered to hear this news; for us it is a thrill to know we will have your leadership back in this part of aviation.

Congratulations not only to you but also to Bell

Surly this is the beginning of something profound for more than a company and an employee.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.