Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Help - Photos of Typhoon from C130 Ramp

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Search this Thread

Old 14th Feb 2008, 08:24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A year or so ago, a series of pictures were published showing a Typhoon getting a bit familiar with the ramp of a C130 - they may even have been on Prune but I can't find them. They were taken from inside the Albert and show the photogs and their gear, and then the Typhoon getting closer and closer each frame, until it looks as though the radome is almost on to the ramp. My Dad has just come across said pictures on t'interweb and wanted to know if they were genuine. I have tried without success to paste a couple of them on this thread, but would welcome any confirmation either way.
Old 14th Feb 2008, 08:30

They're the real deal, although the perspective definitely plays a trick on you.

He's not as close as he looks, but a few folks (myself included) saw the aircraft overhead in the Cleethorpes area when these or similar photos we're being taken, and to be fair, he was pretty close. Close enough to make people in Tesco car park stop and stare.
Old 14th Feb 2008, 08:49

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts
You Mean this

Old 14th Feb 2008, 09:01

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthr...phoon+hercules
Old 14th Feb 2008, 11:20

I was driving the bus that those pictures were taken from. It was for the advertising campaign showing the 'phoon flying over bits of the country shaped like SA-80s and the like while slogans such as "we need gunners" were flashed on the screen etc.....

I was given the footage of the days filming which is spectacular. I remember the loady saying he could almost push the nose of the 'phoon away from us.

Great day out. I also remember our door got stuck after the shoot and we led a particularly un-sporty run in and break as a pair at 150Kts (IIRC) back to Coningsby!

Last edited by Prop-Ed; 14th Feb 2008 at 11:41.
Old 14th Feb 2008, 16:58

Received 182 Likes on 68 Posts

You'd be amazed at some of the rubbish that falls out the back of aircraft these days!
Old 14th Feb 2008, 17:11

I was driving the bus that those pictures were taken from. It was for the advertising campaign showing the 'phoon flying over bits of the country shaped like SA-80s and the like while slogans such as "we need gunners" were flashed on the screen etc.....

I was given the footage of the days filming which is spectacular. I remember the loady saying he could almost push the nose of the 'phoon away from us.

Great day out. I also remember our door got stuck after the shoot and we led a particularly un-sporty run in and break as a pair at 150Kts (IIRC) back to Coningsby!
Exshellent.

Am I right in saying that you flew over the Cleethorpes area while filming it, then? And was it a couple of years ago?
Old 14th Feb 2008, 20:08

Received 182 Likes on 68 Posts
Ah AIDU,

I was beginning to worry that the grown ups had taken over. Welcome back.

MGD
Old 14th Feb 2008, 20:33
PFR
Gamekeeper

Question

So what precautions for FOD ingestion?
Old 14th Feb 2008, 20:40

PPRuNe Person

PFR: opening the ramp some time before the 'phoon appears? Causing any crap to be sucked out into the airflow?
Old 15th Feb 2008, 15:38

Harrogate,

Yes and yes!

Were you involved?
Old 28th Feb 2008, 10:50

Whilst searching for KC-130 vids (related to the refueling EH101), i came upon this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yLmyriJorM
Old 28th Feb 2008, 15:08

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Anybody know the rightful owner of the stills? I have a friend who works for a mag that wants to publish them if possible. Alternatively do you know of the status of the movie/ad that the work was for?

Ta

T
Old 28th Feb 2008, 16:06

As mentioned above, I have a DVD of the day's filming taken unofficially by a member of the film crew. It has some amazing shots and I’m sure loads of great stills could be taken from the footage (I’m assuming it's legally mine?).

I also snapped one or two from the flight deck.

Looking back through this topic on a previous thread, it really made me laugh to read all the "armchair experts" explain how the typhoon was "photo shopped in". Sorry peeps, it really was that close.

PM me if there is some money in it for me...........
Old 28th Feb 2008, 16:14
Red On, Green On

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PE

I’m sure loads of great stills could be taken from the footage (I’m assuming it's legally mine?)
Stills from DVDs don't look that great in print, and you'll almost certainly find that the DVD is yours, but only for your own use. The copyright will belong to someone else - just like the DVD you buy - yours to use, lend to mates etc, but not to copy and sell at car boot fairs.
Old 28th Feb 2008, 17:04
A really irritating PPRuNer

The "how it was made" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuisT_is4NA

Brian
Old 28th Feb 2008, 18:48

Harrogate,

Yes and yes!

Were you involved?
Marvellous!

Nope - not involved at all. Was watching on the deck in Humberston, though. Along with lots of other people.

It really pricked people's curiosity, but then again, it was a curious sight.
Old 28th Feb 2008, 19:07

Photo copyright

Prop-Ed,

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I think you'll find your pic's are legally owned by the RAF.

Technically you could be put on a charge for carrying a camera on duty, which shouldn't really happen unless you try to publish the photo's !

From an ex- military aircraft photographer...

Have fun

DZ
Old 29th Feb 2008, 09:46

Double Zero,

I know of a number of individuals who regularly carry cameras and are somewhat less than discreet about publishing their work from RAF aircraft.

Most of the video and photos were a gift from a civilian film maker who happened to be down the back during the filming. Are you saying his photos don't belong to him either?

Don't worry about raining on my parade. It's not a very big one.........

If you're not Plod or a kill joy, you can still PM me if there is personal gain for me. Cheers!